• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What does retirement look like for you?"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    a lot of my retirement will focus on sharpening chainsaws
    Oddly enough, my urge to sharpen chainsaws was greatest when Dexter was on the telly and I had a minor falling out with the dissector of human remains at Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde.

It was either that or the wood chipper*.

*Fargo.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Interesting thread. I am on the verge, plan for a while is not to work any summers, lockdown and needing one last mortgage pushed me back in the game after a very pleasant year off and I kind of got a taste for it after being fairly burned out.
    I am seeing this one through till April then jacking it in.
    I don't really need to work anymore and when you get to that stage, it's really hard for me to put up with the occasional bellends and grief that come along at work. Without the requirement for money or need to keep the job it's much more of a struggle !
    If I can nick the odd 3/4/6 monther through the autumn/winter times, that would do me fine.
    When I had time off, I played a lot of golf, volunteered part time, travelled and had no problem filling days. My only concern is not being well enough to make the most of the time or waiting too long to jack it in.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Based on today, a lot of my retirement will focus on sharpening chainsaws and burning things that haven’t been pruned properly in years. I also hope that I’ll spend time watching the ABs losing brilliant matches.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I'm gonna be a rent boy for gerontophiles.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    When I was at college, I worked at Harbour Park Amusements in Littlehampton (it's changed a heck of a lot since). I worked on the little counter where you'd go up to change your hard earned cash into small change for all the 2p machines.

I quite enjoyed it and earned a small fortune working there.

I also did jobs in cafes and restaurants.

Then I moved to the corporate world and have sat on my arse behind a desk for the past 25+ years.

I'd quite like to run a little wine bar - much like the ones you get in Italy - where all the wine is available by the glass and you offer little snacks you can tip from a jar into a bowl. The sort of place that people pop into for a quick drink on their way home from work, or on their way out to dinner, etc. Only about 8-10 covers tops. Wine, a few nice gins, a cocktail of the day. Tell people to eff off when they annoy me. Drink the profits, drink the stock. Die. Bliss!

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I worked at Selfridges for a few months after leaving uni. before getting a proper job. Served Hattie Jacques at the meat counter, before they sent me to work in the warehouse cos' I was too scruffy.

Can't say I'd want a job like that now. Did volunteer at a visitor centre for a while a few years ago, boring!
    Friend of mine works at Eden Project, she loves it.

When I worked for Merlin rolling out their new attraction ticketing system (well, I was doing the integration to the Finance Systems and PMing the datawarehouse build) I was on site most weeks and ended up having to interact with the great unwashed, and it was ok ... not just UK, but New York, Melbourne, Sydney and a few other places ... most of the public are there to enjoy themselves so maybe not as bad an experience as say B&Q et al.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I worked at Selfridges for a few months after leaving uni. before getting a proper job. Served Hattie Jacques at the meat counter, before they sent me to work in the warehouse cos' I was too scruffy.

Can't say I'd want a job like that now. Did volunteer at a visitor centre for a while a few years ago, boring!

That's why I went to the NT. I volunteer at a house and award winning gardens with an 800 year history over two families and full of interesting pieces as well as more mundane Jacobean furniture. The idea is not only to look after the collection and keep the visitors safe, but also to bring the place to life; talk about the family history and their achievements and how the house has grown from an 13th C medieval hall to a monument to Arts and Crafts taste.

It's a lot to learn so you can answer the usual questions (do you know why they are called tester beds, for example?) and so keeps you interested. Plus you get to talk to some lovely people.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Last edited by xoggoth; 13 November 2021, 12:33.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Working in retail, or dealing with people looking for a service? Not a chance, far too much risk I'd deck someone!
    Especially if you work in B&Q and someone needs decking...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've worked as a till-jockey and it was quite pleasant, similarly working as a barman. Unpleasant or argumentative people - typically those who want to think they're important - are disarmed when you're polite to them. They want you to bite and if you don't aren't really sure what to do, at least in my experience. If I'm paid to help people, I help the PITA ones too. Doesn't hurt my self-esteem if some so-and-so thinks I'm lower than them because I'm working in a pub, they can think that if they want.

All that said, I think working on the floor in B&Q is a bit different. You're helping people who don't know what they're doing, and typically really like an older, experienced ex-tradesman to chat to. Those I come across seem to quite enjoy getting to help people with advice on their projects, it's a bit like talking to your dad
    Hey if that is the high spot in your career and you want to return to it then fine. I did such work over a few years while at college and it seriously sucked (strangely the other staff thought the same) if you are the sort of person who wants to earn your five stars it might appeal.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Excellent job demonstrating me wrong there. Really, well done.
    I see your opinion seems to be faulty!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Working in retail, or dealing with people looking for a service? Not a chance, far too much risk I'd deck someone!
    I've worked as a till-jockey and it was quite pleasant, similarly working as a barman. Unpleasant or argumentative people - typically those who want to think they're important - are disarmed when you're polite to them. They want you to bite and if you don't aren't really sure what to do, at least in my experience. If I'm paid to help people, I help the PITA ones too. Doesn't hurt my self-esteem if some so-and-so thinks I'm lower than them because I'm working in a pub, they can think that if they want.

All that said, I think working on the floor in B&Q is a bit different. You're helping people who don't know what they're doing, and typically really like an older, experienced ex-tradesman to chat to. Those I come across seem to quite enjoy getting to help people with advice on their projects, it's a bit like talking to your dad

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I hadn't realised I was rude and entitled according to you. I will be sure to respect your expert opinion...
    Excellent job demonstrating me wrong there. Really, well done.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I've also had that in the back of my mind but it's just not me. I still enjoy the theory of ITIL (being the first contractor in the country to get ITIL4 MP from a public course) and like chewing the fat about it but when it comes to work I hate working at a consultancy level. I'd much prefer getting down and dirty with the transition which isn't something you can do part time.

Maybe as needs must I could get round to it but it's something I've never enjoyed in my career.
    I know a few chaps who do a 3-6 month contract then take a few months off to travel etc. Basically leave before the politics gets too much.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Pot, kettle?

Of course when I say "some people like other people", I realise I'm posting on an IT forum We are not known for our affability.
    Oh ok maybe you are the minority? I hadn't realised I was rude and entitled according to you. I will be sure to respect your expert opinion...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X