• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does retirement look like for you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Some people actually like other people.
    I like other people, I just dislike rude, entitled and unpleasant people. The general public are definitely a mixed bunch.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Oh, I don't plan to retire from my low-paid job at the lunatic asylum. It helps keep me sane, and the perks are amazing.
      I suppose they might sack me, but that would only happen if I changed the locks and no one could get in. But what M*****F***** would be so stupid as to do that?
      It's good to have an exit strategy though.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I’d quite like to do that. The odd bit of documentation, that kind of thing.

Other consultants I’ve worked with hated that part but I always enjoyed it.
        I've also had that in the back of my mind but it's just not me. I still enjoy the theory of ITIL (being the first contractor in the country to get ITIL4 MP from a public course) and like chewing the fat about it but when it comes to work I hate working at a consultancy level. I'd much prefer getting down and dirty with the transition which isn't something you can do part time.

Maybe as needs must I could get round to it but it's something I've never enjoyed in my career.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I like other people, I just dislike rude, entitled and unpleasant people. The general public are definitely a mixed bunch.
          Pot, kettle?

Of course when I say "some people like other people", I realise I'm posting on an IT forum We are not known for our affability.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
            I have been pondering over this question ever since it was posted and realised that I'm clueless, have no idea, no real passion on anything in particular. Is it bad to be like this? I don't know, I'm clueless!!!
            Maybe you need to take a Mini-retirement, to give you the chance to consider what retirement looks like. Mini-retirements when you are young enough (and healthy/ fit enough) to appreciate them, make more sense than waiting until your dotage to appreciate the only dream you have is being young and healthy again. The main barrier to this decision is not money, but fear. And the uncertainty of choosing one future state over another. More about that in a minute.

Mini-retirements look different of course for different people, but the key to making it work is pre-planning (just like a retirement). There is loads of material on the web, here is one link: https://www.theladders.com/career-ad...t-as-rewarding

Tristan Harris (from the Center for Humane Technology, and a co-creator of the movie "The social dilemna") has a podcast called "Your undivided attention". One episode of which is with Professor of Philosophy L.A Paul, and concerns her book "Transformative Experience". In the book, and in the podcast, she asks the question- "So you want to become a vampire". There are pros and minuses, but can you really choose between your continued current state of being, or becoming a vampire (superhuman strength, immortal, fear of sunlight) if the process of becoming a vampire will transform you forever: no one who ever becomes a vampire regrets the transformation.

Podcast
            https://www.humanetech.com/podcast/3...come-a-vampire

L.A Paul takes this analogy and extends it to other impossible decisions, or what experiences we should choose, when the act of choosing is a one-way path. And she addresses how we make good choices for future states that are irreversible.

Retirement is just one of them.
            ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Some people actually like other people.
              I would be more generous and say most, BUT there is a sizeable enough minority that are rude, awful, abusive and in some cases down right threatening. Otherwise why all the posters and tannoy messages expressing that X (Company, Org. etc) won't tolerate verbal or physical abuse?
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Pot, kettle?

Of course when I say "some people like other people", I realise I'm posting on an IT forum We are not known for our affability.
                One reason I volunteer with the National Trust is the people I meet there are interested and want to be informed about the house and grounds and its history and/or contents. As a result they tend to be easy to deal with and hold conversations with. There are those that aren't interested or trying to get out of the rain, but they tend to move through the rooms at some speed and don't talk to anyone anyway. Only once have I had a problem and that was some slob using a valuable delicate 350 year old table as a rest while he read the guidebook, and he simply walked out when I challenged him with the polite version of "get you arse off that table, you twat".

Working in retail, or dealing with people looking for a service? Not a chance, far too much risk I'd deck someone!
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Pot, kettle?

Oh ok maybe you are the minority? I hadn't realised I was rude and entitled according to you. I will be sure to respect your expert opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I've also had that in the back of my mind but it's just not me. I still enjoy the theory of ITIL (being the first contractor in the country to get ITIL4 MP from a public course) and like chewing the fat about it but when it comes to work I hate working at a consultancy level. I'd much prefer getting down and dirty with the transition which isn't something you can do part time.

Maybe as needs must I could get round to it but it's something I've never enjoyed in my career.
                    I know a few chaps who do a 3-6 month contract then take a few months off to travel etc. Basically leave before the politics gets too much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      I hadn't realised I was rude and entitled according to you. I will be sure to respect your expert opinion...
                      Excellent job demonstrating me wrong there. Really, well done.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X