• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does retirement look like for you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Then again, would you rather hear from people who have made the change and speak from experience or people who are still wondering if they can ever give up being a wage slave...?

In my case, incidentally, I'm retired but MyCo is still ticking over with small jobs - although they pretty much dried up over the last 18 months for some reason, they are picking up again. So perhaps I have a double perspective.
    I’d quite like to do that. The odd bit of documentation, that kind of thing.

Other consultants I’ve worked with hated that part but I always enjoyed it.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
      I have been pondering over this question ever since it was posted and realised that I'm clueless, have no idea, no real passion on anything in particular. Is it bad to be like this? I don't know, I'm clueless!!!
      No, it’s normal for many people. I would suggest thinking about it now though. There’s a life beyond work even when you’re working.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Couldn't make it sooner rather than later could you?
        Oh, I don't plan to retire from my low-paid job at the lunatic asylum. It helps keep me sane, and the perks are amazing.
        I suppose they might sack me, but that would only happen if I changed the locks and no one could get in. But what M*****F***** would be so stupid as to do that?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I retired this year at 58. We were going to sell up and downsize but then crypto tripled my pension pot (even after CGT).

So now we've decided to stay put for the next 10 years and are having the house extended again to give me room to mess about with classic cars whilst I'm still young-ish. We go to lots of car events anyway so that all ties in nicely. I also plan to join a boat club and go sea fishing and do some off-road cycling in the New Forest. The Missus is in her element having the budget to all the things round the house she'd like - we're currently having a new kitchen fitted.

In ten years or so, all being well, we'll downsize and do a bit of travelling.

Them's the plans but you have to live for today as you don't know what's around the corner. We're very fortunate indeed.

...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I plan on retiring from IT at 55-60, then stay active and keep working 2-3 days a week. My ideal job would be customer service at B&Q or similar.

My partner's father is in his 60s. He retired early because of an injury and since he had worked off-shore a lot he had ton of savings. 2 years and 1 hip replacement later he got bored out of his mind, found a part-time job at a local organic farm. Now he delivers fruit and veg 3 days a week, drives around town, speaks to people. He's in the best shape of his life, physically and mentally.

I aim to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I’d quite like to do that. The odd bit of documentation, that kind of thing.

Other consultants I’ve worked with hated that part but I always enjoyed it.
              I'll send you mine, but you might change your mind with DOORS
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Anyone who thinks dealing with the general public will be relaxing post retirement has obviously never done it.

By all means find a nice set of civil & grateful customers but I would go postal at B&Q!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Anyone who thinks dealing with the general public will be relaxing post retirement has obviously never done it.

By all means find a nice set of civil & grateful customers but I would go postal at B&Q!
                  Too right, both my daughter had retail/hospitality type jobs at 16, the awfulness of some people. On the plus side went down well with prospective employers after uni, as they thought if you can handle a public facing role then you handle their world of work.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Too right, both my daughter had retail/hospitality type jobs at 16, the awfulness of some people. On the plus side went down well with prospective employers after uni, as they thought if you can handle a public facing role then you handle their world of work.
                    Indeed miss V1 & 2 both worked in a local chip shop during 6th form, both UNIs liked their work attitude. They regularly had to deal with complete numptys.

I worked in restaurants and old people's homes before fixing TVs. The old people were the nicest of the lot, they actually had manners.

I'm surprised some of the TV customers left the shop without having their teeth kicked in.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      Some people actually like other people.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X