• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trevor Phillips talking sense as usual

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trevor Phillips talking sense as usual

https://www.cityam.com/trevor-philli...a-due-process/

The tearing down of statues, renaming of streets, and the changing of school curricula without “a rigorous and non-partisan approach” is increasingly altering British history, broadcaster Trevor Phillips warns this morning.

A paper written by Phillips and released by the Policy Exchange think tank today claimed there was a “growing trend to alter public history and heritage without due process”.

It argues that decision-makers should not give in pressure groups and activists too much of a say, instead arguing institutions “must pay due regard to the views and sentiments of those who support the institutions, including donors, members, volunteers and taxpayers” and alumni in the case of schools and universities.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Sensible bloke. John Barnes too.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Sadly it won't be long before either is called a racist or one of the ists. Talking sense doesn't appear to go down with the woke left nowadays.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Probably get called coconuts because they don't keep banging on about racism. It makes sense to tackle real intentional racism but when people make a fuss about nothing, some historic association with slavery that hardly anyone knows about or an elderly person using the term coloured, or keep pushing the issue under our noses, like taking the knee when we just want to enjoy a bit of football, it just stirs up resentment. Drives racism rather than reduces it.
        bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

From a rather different person: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59046022

US comedian Dave Chappelle, whose latest Netflix special sparked a transgender backlash, has hit back at those he says want to "cancel" him.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

For those that have an interest in the origins and history of Slavery then I'd recommend reading this:

The Silk Roads: A New History of the World

I've posted it before but those who have not grasped the enormity of mis-information regarding, in particular black, Slavery should really attempt it. It's not an easy read so you may need to give a potted summary for out mainstream media reading apologists.

Something like:

Latest research shows that Ancient Rome required 250,000 slaves a year to keep it running. Most from Northern Europe, as those from Africa were not of sufficient quality for domestic duty.

400-600AD slave trade to the 'middle east' ran to around 10M individuals. Mostly women and girls from Northern Europe as those from Africa were not of sufficient quality to trade.

Slaves get there moniker from the Scandinavian traders in the then called Slav.

Comment

Maybe we should all be forced to do 6 months as slaves to help us understand it.
              bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Maybe we should all be forced to do 6 months as slaves to help us understand it.
                Oi, we've done that at Derby @2005!
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  It's really very simple. No civilisation in history has been built without using slave labour in some form or another.

People need to stop rewriting the past on the back of a very incomplete education and a limited knowledge of history, and look at where slavery still exists today. That might at least be of some practical benefit.

But that might be too difficult for their tiny minds, and they wouldn't get to parade around pretending to have the answers.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    For those that have an interest in the origins and history of Slavery then I'd recommend reading this:

The Silk Roads: A New History of the World

I've posted it before but those who have not grasped the enormity of mis-information regarding, in particular black, Slavery should really attempt it. It's not an easy read so you may need to give a potted summary for out mainstream media reading apologists.

Something like:

Latest research shows that Ancient Rome required 250,000 slaves a year to keep it running. Most from Northern Europe, as those from Africa were not of sufficient quality for domestic duty.

400-600AD slave trade to the 'middle east' ran to around 10M individuals. Mostly women and girls from Northern Europe as those from Africa were not of sufficient quality to trade.

Slaves get there moniker from the Scandinavian traders in the then called Slav.
                    Indeed if you hear the activists Africans are the only people to ever suffer from Slavery. They forget to mention they were selling their brothers to the Arabs in the 7th century. The Europeans (Spanish/Portuguese) didn't arrive until the 14th century and the British were later - Hawkins in 1563. 90% of African slaves sent to the new world were purchased from their Brothers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/a...chapter1.shtml

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/23/opinion/23gates.html

All disgusting but no particular group suffered significantly more than others. Chasing reparations is not likely to succeed.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X