• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trevor Phillips talking sense as usual

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Where do you get the data that only 100 people supported removing the statue, and most Bristolians thought he was a major benefactor?
    TV reports of how many people were in that particular demonstration and living here for around 40 years?

Where do you get the data that I am wrong?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Even a poll in the right wing Daily Express thought Colston's statue should not be on prominent display. No justification for the toppling though, we shouldn't destroy history or heritage. Move it to a museum.

It's also daft when some obsess about a minor flaw in a great character and ignore the real achievements. Churchill may have had some racist views but he helped to save us all from Adolph. Would Africans really have been better off if he had won and taken over the nations still in the empire?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Even a poll in the right wing Daily Express thought Colston's statue should not be on prominent display. No justification for the toppling though, we shouldn't destroy history or heritage. Move it to a museum.

It's also daft when some obsess about a minor flaw in a great character and ignore the real achievements. Churchill may have had some racist views but he helped to save us all from Adolph. Would Africans really have been better off if he had won and taken over the nations still in the empire?
        One also needs to be sensitive of the times that it happened in. If every TV report about African slavery started with :

"Once the Arabs found it too difficult to capture slaves from Europe in the 7th century they turned to Africa where they could easily buy from African traders whose rulers readily sold their brethren into Slavery as they had to the Romans, Greeks etc.

They continued to send millions of slaves abroad. In the 1400s the Portuguese and Spanish came to buy slaves as well, eventually the British turned up in 1570 to buy slaves so many were sold that the price doubled.

In 1810 the British realised Slavery was cruel and enforced a worldwide ban which upset most of the African royalty who had profited from it for many centuries. For some reason only the British & Americans are expected to pay reparations and be forced to understand African suffering.

Probably because the Arabs, Portuguese Spanish, Italians and Greeks told them to get stuffed"

By the way owning and buying of slaves was totally legal in the laws of the time in almost every country.

I suspect there would be outrage but more understanding.

Colston was a merchant he bought & sold legal commodities. Revolting now but revisionism is judging by modern times.

Do we now pull down statues of Brunel because his workers didn't have hard hats or a pension?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

One also needs to be sensitive of the times that it happened in. If every TV report about African slavery started with :

"Once the Arabs found it too difficult to capture slaves from Europe in the 7th century they turned to Africa where they could easily buy from African traders whose rulers readily sold their brethren into Slavery as they had to the Romans, Greeks etc.

They continued to send millions of slaves abroad. In the 1400s the Portuguese and Spanish came to buy slaves as well, eventually the British turned up in 1570 to buy slaves so many were sold that the price doubled.

In 1810 the British realised Slavery was cruel and enforced a worldwide ban which upset most of the African royalty who had profited from it for many centuries. For some reason only the British & Americans are expected to pay reparations and be forced to understand African suffering.

Probably because the Arabs, Portuguese Spanish, Italians and Greeks told them to get stuffed"

By the way owning and buying of slaves was totally legal in the laws of the time in almost every country.

I suspect there would be outrage but more understanding.

Colston was a merchant he bought & sold legal commodities. Revolting now but revisionism is judging by modern times.

Do we now pull down statues of Brunel because his workers didn't have hard hats or a pension?
          Well yes most of what you say is uncontroversial to a person of long European descent. But I'm going to play devils advocate so indulge me please.

Imagine you are of, lets say for argument, Afro-Caribbean descent in its typical connotation. Therefore, your recent ancestors were slaves. How do integrate into a society whose defining moments can never be yours: Julius Caesar, Vikings, 1066, Agincourt, Armada, Trafalgar, Waterloo etc. Yes commonwealth troops did play some part in WWI and WWII, but it's not mainstream. You only first appear in History as Slaves, in fact your ancestors probably never had a written name until it was a slave name. There are some hurdles to come over, Trevor Phillips and John Barnes are to be applauded for their forbearance, fortitude, and understanding.

The African Kings were feeding a demand, much like the drug dealers, no demand = no slaves or in modern parlance no drug dealers.

Why are there more ethnic minority drug dealers :- work it out.

When we're winning at sport the black is a hero, when losing the demon. We do have a problem and it is resulting in self-defeating circles of blame that unless we we break out of, then we will continue to suffer.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            As this is still fresh history we have a certain view of this statue and what happened to it. I'm certainly not condoning vandalism and would have preferred it just removed if that was the wish, but actually, I think the statue is more valuable/interesting now as a historic artifact than if it had just been replaced and stored in a box in some dusty cellar. It's (I believe) still on display but for different reasons so his name hasn't been wiped for ever.

Isn't society interesting eh?
            Last edited by Whorty; 26 October 2021, 16:39.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

The statue is itself part of history now, that's a good point.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Well yes most of what you say is uncontroversial to a person of long European descent. But I'm going to play devils advocate so indulge me please.

Imagine you are of, lets say for argument, Afro-Caribbean descent in its typical connotation. Therefore, your recent ancestors were slaves. How do integrate into a society whose defining moments can never be yours: Julius Caesar, Vikings, 1066, Agincourt, Armada, Trafalgar, Waterloo etc. Yes commonwealth troops did play some part in WWI and WWII, but it's not mainstream. You only first appear in History as Slaves, in fact your ancestors probably never had a written name until it was a slave name. There are some hurdles to come over, Trevor Phillips and John Barnes are to be applauded for their forbearance, fortitude, and understanding.

The African Kings were feeding a demand, much like the drug dealers, no demand = no slaves or in modern parlance no drug dealers.

Why are there more ethnic minority drug dealers :- work it out.

When we're winning at sport the black is a hero, when losing the demon. We do have a problem and it is resulting in self-defeating circles of blame that unless we we break out of, then we will continue to suffer.
                Plenty of highly qualified and reputable people of African descent. Doctors, Scientists etc. in the UK. I work with a number of people who ae outstanding but not of European heritage. Plenty have told me about their countries customs & achievements.

There must be some great legends to come from Africa yet we need to redefine our culture to include others, our stories to do the same. Lets have a ZULU comics with a Z universe. DC comics are only a few decades old.

The slavers were just feeding a need. - works both ways. I'm not an apologist for slavers or their suppliers. Both were disgusting.

No black people are not the devil but dug dealers are. The anti police attitude of certain cultures drives victims into the drug dealers arms as 'soldiers'.

I see no blame in skin colour just actions.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                X