• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recycling Plastics Doesn't Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recycling Plastics Doesn't Work

According to our PM.

Meanwhile the husband of one of his other gaffes is going on hunger strike....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59039155

Recycling plastic materials "doesn't work" and "is not the answer" to threats to global oceans and marine wildlife, Boris Johnson has said.

Answering children's questions ahead of the COP26 climate change summit, the PM said reusing plastics "doesn't begin to address the problem".

Instead, he said, "we've all got to cut down our use of plastic".

The Recycling Association said the PM had "completely lost the plastic plot".

The association's Simon Ellin told BBC Radio 4's World at One programme Mr Johnson's comments were "very disappointing" and seemed to conflict with government policy.

During the special event organised by Downing Street, Mr Johnson also jokingly suggested feeding human beings to animals to "bring nature back".

He told an audience of eight to 12-year-olds that rather than relying on recycling, people should reduce their consumption of plastic products.

Tanya Steele, chief executive of the World Wide Fund for Nature, told the event: "We have to reduce, we have to reuse - I do think we need to do a little bit of recycling, PM, and have some system to do so."

But the PM said it was a "mistake" to think society can recycle its way out of the problem, and added: "It doesn't work."

Asked later about Mr Johnson's comments, his official spokesman said the PM continued to encourage recycling - though he said relying on it alone would be a "red herring".

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

So the PM says the best solution to plastic is to use less, which is what all the environmental groups have been saying for ages, and now they say he's lost the plot?
    Surely it's well known that recycling single-use plastic is substantially worse than using something else in the first place?

I assume the Recycling Association has a vested financial interest...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

In the grand scheme of things hes probably right. There always seems to be a reason why one type of plastic cant be recycled over another. Just use less of the stuff - and that doesnt mean me or you. The suppliers need to be held to account over the plastic used in packaging

Comment

I'm no fan of Johnson, but this is simply click-bait - he's right that recyling alone cannot fix the issue - reduction in use is needed too.

He was speaking to a bunch of kids - which, ironically, is about the right target group for both him and most BBC website reporters.

Comment

It shouldn't be that difficult for companies to cut down, some of the packaging seems ludicrously over the top.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            It shouldn't be that difficult for companies to cut down, some of the packaging seems ludicrously over the top.
            one lady came up with fish scale plastic.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innov...ard-180973550/
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Reduction absolutely is the right answer but it's not a consumer problem. Consumer's don't buy plastic! they buy products that suppliers choose to wrap in plastic packaging or make out of plastics. Don't blame the consumers. Suppliers probably won't change unless forced or some kind of financial incentive either, its all about regulation... so he should be blaming himself and past governments.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                Reduction absolutely is the right answer but it's not a consumer problem. Consumer's don't buy plastic! they buy products that suppliers choose to wrap in plastic packaging or make out of plastics. Don't blame the consumers. Suppliers probably won't change unless forced or some kind of financial incentive either, its all about regulation... so he should be blaming himself and past governments.
                Not true.
                Consumers can choose to buy products with less plastic on them. Individuals - including you - aren't forced to buy from a particular supplier, you could do research and buy off businesses that use less or no plastic.

But that requires effort and people taking responsibility for their actions, when it's always easier to blame someone else.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Not true.
                  Consumers can choose to buy products with less plastic on them. Individuals - including you - aren't forced to buy from a particular supplier, you could do research and buy off businesses that use less or no plastic.

But that requires effort and people taking responsibility for their actions, when it's always easier to blame someone else.
                  I suspect it's also more expensive to buy those reduced plastic products and, especially for fresh produce, plastics are used to prolong shelf life which would require people to think about buying little and often which itself can be more expensive.

Comment

Interesting piece on R4 last night regarding NHS use of single use plastic, mostly PPE.
                    Pre-Covid they had stockpiled 30-40M pieces, expected to last C18 months.
                    First 6 months of Covid NHS usage was 4.2B pieces.

Comment

Working...
                    X