• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many smoke alarms do you have?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    1 nest on the central area of each floor, heat in the kitchen, gas over supply in and boiler.

fire blanket next to hob

a blue (powder) fire extinguisher on each floor

yes I have done fire marshal training
    And I can imagine you have made leather goth style covers for them.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Everyone got a CO2 detector by the boiler?
      I think that would just be CO (carbon monoxide) rather than CO2 (carbon dioxide). You only need a CO2 detector if you're keeping track of ventilation (e.g. in a classroom).

Nitpicks aside, I agree that it's a good idea for a gas boiler. You should also have one in each room with a non-electric fireplace (i.e. gas or wood burner).

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

I think that would just be CO (carbon monoxide) rather than CO2 (carbon dioxide). You only need a CO2 detector if you're keeping track of ventilation (e.g. in a classroom).

Nitpicks aside, I agree that it's a good idea for a gas boiler. You should also have one in each room with a non-electric fireplace (i.e. gas or wood burner).
        ta I stand corrected.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

For those with nests, how are you getting around the fact you can't have one in the kitchen, but the regulations (for new builds) are that a kitchen needs a heat detector (not smoke) which still needs to be linked up to the other alarms in the house?
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            For those with nests, how are you getting around the fact you can't have one in the kitchen, but the regulations (for new builds) are that a kitchen needs a heat detector (not smoke) which still needs to be linked up to the other alarms in the house?
            Surely a new-build has to have all this fitted as part of the build before you ever buy it?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I suspect by not using NEST.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Because a) That's not the regs and b) They probably wouldn't apply retrospectively to most works, anyway

Personally, if I felt I needed a heat detector I'd just get a standalone one and accept it as being outside the system

Comment

With all these smoke detectors we're gonna need some lead underpants due to all the radiation from the Americium 241.

Meanwhile there's this:

https://app.croneri.co.uk/questions-...moke-detectors

Oddly enough, I remember that a shedload of these were crushed when Wolsey Comcare closed.

The wail from the crusher was quite disturbing.

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._Alt_Text_.pdf
                  Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 October 2021, 13:54.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Why not bypass smoke alarms altogether and just put a full sprinker system in with those little red cartidges that break on heat. That way you don't need to detect anything as the system will deal with the eventuality.

If you are worried about it going off for no reason you could always hide behind LM's fat kids to stop getting wet.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      If you are worried about it going off for no reason you could always hide behind LM's fat kids to stop getting wet.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X