• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many smoke alarms do you have?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Good to keep an eye on kids doing stuff though
    Starting to worry about the smoke alarm in NorthernLadys bedroom, now

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Can't see a real need for that many, personally. We have 3x Nests which do smoke and CO - Downstairs Hall, Upstairs Landing and Utility Room on the back of the house (Seemed prudent as all white goods and the boiler are there)
      I am looking at the Nests, I will replace the two wired detectors we have in the downstairs hall and upstairs landing. Might just stick an extra battery operated one in each of the bedrooms and another couple somewhere downstairs for coverage
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

Starting to worry about the smoke alarm in NorthernLadys bedroom, now
        Which one?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Which one?
          the one that detects burning rubber!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Built my house about 10 years ago and put about 11 in.

Kitchen = heat alarm; smoke in all bedrooms; living room, office, hall and landing optical alarm. None in bathrooms or the utility ( stuck on the side of the house so kitchen heat alarm will be enough warning)

It is a building regs requirement to have one in the kitchen and not to be smoke to minimise false alarms also building regs state they have to be all interlinked also this means nest do not comply with UK building regs (no heat only option). Oddly enough some USA state have a similar problem with attached garages and nest not fully compliant there either.

As my house is over 3 floor, then the bedrooms required firedoors. To really be effective they should be close at night, so should all doors to help prevent the spread of a fires, so I have placed alarms in all rooms that could have the source of a fire, as by the time a fire in a closed office or living room sets a hallway smoke alarm it is probably ready quite big and dangerous.

I decided my children lives are worth more that £300.

Comment

Another thing to consider is exit routes in the event of a fire. If the fire is at the bottom of the stairs, how do you get out of the building? It's well worth having a couple of rope ladders with cunningly hidden fixings under the window sills to hook them on to so you can climb down.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Not sure if you might have to consider building regs on this?

Smoking alarms are pennies though.
                You do have to consider building regs, and what you have to do legally, depends on the age of the building.

You house insurance will be void for fire damage if you don't fit the required alarms in the required places. Newer houses require fully linked system with one in every room except kitchen and bathrooms + one at the top and bottom of each stairwell.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Hairlocks View Post
                  It is a building regs requirement to have one in the kitchen and not to be smoke to minimise false alarms also building regs state they have to be all interlinked also this means nest do not comply with UK building regs (no heat only option). Oddly enough some USA state have a similar problem with attached garages and nest not fully compliant there either.
                  This isn't correct in England & Wales. Scotland have their own, much more stringent thing going on but the regs in England & Wales are pretty loose:

1. Grade D Alarm System
                  2. Mains powered w/ battery backup
                  3. One alarm on each storey
                  4. Interlinked

Note, also, the above only applies to new construction. Replacement of an existing system is not retrospective

Here's the actual regs:

ADB_Vol1_Dwellings_2019_edition_inc_2020_amendment s.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)
                  Last edited by vwdan; 7 October 2021, 17:33.

Comment

None. I'm not sure they even sell them here.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Another thing to consider is exit routes in the event of a fire. If the fire is at the bottom of the stairs, how do you get out of the building? It's well worth having a couple of rope ladders with cunningly hidden fixings under the window sills to hook them on to so you can climb down.
                      jump out of the window and hope you land on one of your fat kids?!
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X