• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XR now blocking M25

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
    In my job we use wood that comes from sustainable resources.
    We use tarmac that can be recycled again and again, and upcycled if necessary into other products.
    We use vehicles powered by derv to get people to work that usually are crewed by more than one person. If it's a large infrastructure job some of us use crew buses. You see them on the motorway every day. Can't get much more efficient than a mini bus full of workers.
    We only build new things that pass very specific energy saving specifications (called Breeam if you wish to look it up).

Even the concrete we use can be recycled into many kinds of materials, crush, type one, pretty much anything even though it's a chemical reaction it makes a very hard material that can be used for so many tasks on a building site. You can even use it to build roads.

We use pipes now made from steel that is mostly remanufactured rather than virgin mined copper, there's so much reclaimed steel around it would be daft not to use it. OK it's heavy and it's thermal properties aren't brilliant but it's freely available.

So the industry has been "going green" as far as it can for many years. But getting these materials to site, well that won't ever be green it that sense I suspect. Electric lorries won't catch on if half the kerb weight is taken up by batteries. And they can't drive more than 200 miles. The average 32 tonner does star ship mileage through it's working life. Figure it out, 55mph for 8 hours a day every day... Call it 400 miles a day easy. Doesn't take long to start knocking up real fuel use.
    And if you hold a mixer truck up for any great length of time all you will have will be a 7 cubic meter brick... They are mixed with a desired delivery time in mind, it can be retarded a bit but many times loads are refused because they are past delivery slot.
    And where, exactly, do they think this insulation actually comes from? Grown by insects? Comes down with the sunlight?
    But more importantly...
    Blocking a motorway in protest potentially costs billions. Costs lives. Costs that can't ever be recovered. The powers that be ought to put them on Gruinard and let them try living with no modern conveniences.

People like this occupy a place lower than whale poo in my scheme of things.
    Plenty of additives and alternative fuels that make it possible to have clean lorries. Hydrogen for instance.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Although I don't think a bunch of lefties is going to have a splinter group with the word girl in it?
      Better book me in for some unconscious bias training...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Although I don't think a bunch of lefties is going to have a splinter group with the word girl in it?
        So long as it includes anyone who self-identifies as a girl, they'll be fine with it.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Plenty of additives and alternative fuels that make it possible to have clean lorries. Hydrogen for instance.

Harry Metcalfe speaks with Lord Bamford.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

So long as it includes anyone who self-identifies as a girl, they'll be fine with it.
            Not if it's a TERF splinter group.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Harry Metcalfe speaks with Lord Bamford.

Cheers - and it doesn't require us to tear up the earth for nasty battery ingredients, the Grid won't be swamped. the vehicles costs roughly the same not twice the price and the engines are so similar recycling etc is easy.

Why won't the government support hydrogen?

Comment

Cheers - and it doesn't require us to tear up the earth for nasty battery ingredients, the Grid won't be swamped. the vehicles costs roughly the same not twice the price and the engines are so similar recycling etc is easy.

Why won't the government support hydrogen?
                The Govt could tax hydrogen, to partly offset the billions they will lose in revenue when people have to stop buying petrol and diesel.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

The Govt could tax hydrogen, to partly offset the billions they will lose in revenue when people have to stop buying petrol and diesel.
                  win win!

Seems obvious to me hydrogen for big stuff, green diesel / petrol with enhanced exhaust for old & obscure, battery for around town cars.

Comment

I see a lot of people in the industry saying hydrogen isn't ready and won't be for at least a generation. Of course many of those have a vested interest in EV but on the other hand if hydrogen was a goer you have to think they would be chasing it.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I see a lot of people in the industry saying hydrogen isn't ready and won't be for at least a generation. Of course many of those have a vested interest in EV but on the other hand if hydrogen was a goer you have to think they would be chasing it.
                      Yep its just bit players like JCB, Alstrom , DAF , Hyundai , BOC etc delivering trains and trucks now. The big stuff is where Hydrogen wins but cars will run on hydrogen when the infrastructure is there.

As JCB said its a similar engine with similar costs. Battery cars cost twice the petrol one. Fuel cells aren't ready yet, when they are battery cars will look like fossils. Battery life in lorries will be a big issue.

Produce hydrogen via over supply of green / standing power. Use the fuel network to distribute maintaining that business.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/hydrog...rucks-lorries/

Comment

Working...
                      X