• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "XR now blocking M25"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I don't think that's gonna be on their minds as they go for their first shower with a very small and slipper bar of soap. I believe there is always a penchant for something a little different so I doubt the ginger guy will be able to sit on anything, let alone a road, for a very long time.
    On the contrary, they'll be glueing their bums to the ground lickety split. OK "lickety split" might not be the best colloquialism...

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

If they are something like those in the House of Lords they will come out as prison reformers so will be even more irritating.
    Prison reform sounds like something worthwhile.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I don't think that's gonna be on their minds as they go for their first shower with a very small and slipper bar of soap. I believe there is always a penchant for something a little different so I doubt the ginger guy will be able to sit on anything, let alone a road, for a very long time.
    If they are something like those in the House of Lords they will come out as prison reformers so will be even more irritating.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    They are going to be martyrs in 50 years time.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    They are going to be martyrs in 50 years time.

Worse thing is the younger ones will still be alive....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    The group vowed to continue protesting.
    So long as we've not been locked up.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post

That's fine. We'll keep swelling the nations empty coffers with their fine money and keep locking them up.

If the UK Gov or courts backtrack or go soft on this it's sending a bad message that this type of activity works with no fall out.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59307679

Insulate Britain protesters jailed for defying road blockade ban

Nine Insulate Britain protesters have been jailed for breaching an injunction designed to prevent road blockades.

Activists began a wave of protests two months ago, blocking the M25, roads in London and elsewhere in the UK.

Ana Heyatawin, 58, and Louis McKechnie, 20, were jailed for three months while Dr Ben Buse, 36, Roman Paluch-Machnik, 28, Oliver Rock, 41, Emma Smart, 44, Tim Speers, 36, and James Thomas, 47, all received four-month sentences.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I see you're still doing the old "selective reading" and "out of context responses".

As mentioned earlier, batteries & immersion tank is the current thinking, because feed in tariffs are so low they are not worth doing.

If you've looked into how hybrid inverters work, then you'll understand APC - the inverter monitors the power being produced and the levels of storage available. It's the same principle used in fully off-grid PV systems.

We'll probably use Fox LV5200s for storage - about half the price per kWh of the Powerwall 2. Combine those with a 4x7 array of Jinko Cheetah panels and a Solis inverter.
    And that lot is £39.95 from Homebase is it? I'm guessing it's probably thousands, but that's beside the point. Most properties in cities don't have anywhere near the space for all that, and if they don't have a driveway/OSP they won't be able to charge an electric car in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Oh look my virtue is over there. See me try and wriggle with my "I'm alright jack attitude."

The reality is that a personal solution won't scale to fix the EV charging problem or the manufacture and disposal of batteries.

To fix the UK's problems we need to fix it as a country 97% of households have not taken Solar despite some very generous subsidies. 10% of new cars are EV. 40% intend to buy an EV when replacing.

https://www.statista.com/topics/2298...icle-industry/

charging points need ~7kw 3 times the power of your oven or twice your hob (frequently the highest demand items in your home) and will take 8 hours to fully charge 60kw batteries.

https://andersen-ev.com/charging-aca...7kW%20or%207kW.

https://pod-point.com/guides/driver/...n-electric-car

So if 10% of the driving population add two ovens to their house and run them overnight how do you think that will affect the grid? in 5 years 40%? in 9 years 100%?

Note average home PV solution is 3.25kw so a full recharge would take 16+ hours. Luckily they are likely to do it at night when the sun is shining (in Australia) so PV will be a winner.

Again your personal solution doesn't scale. Your Whatabouttery aside you have no sensible argument.
    Last edited by vetran; 15 September 2021, 21:34.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Selective reading ? I and others have spent a number of posts talking about nationwide or worldwide solutions and you keep talking about what you could do in your house. Who is not understanding the scope of the discussion? We are talking about powering the world and you are talking about your solar torch.
    Good point. Let's do nothing and say that someone else must do it. Individual responsibility is something to be avoided.
    ...and if it's going to cost wealthy people money, then suddenly act like you care about the poor. A bit like the claims of "we need to look after our own children before looking after foreigners" and following that with "we must reduce the help to our own children as all (non-retired) people on benefits are lazy scroungers"

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    As mentioned earlier, batteries & immersion tank is the current thinking, because feed in tariffs are so low they are not worth doing.

If you've looked into how hybrid inverters work, then you'll understand APC - the inverter monitors the power being produced and the levels of storage available. It's the same principle used in fully off-grid PV systems.

We'll probably use Fox LV5200s for storage - about half the price per kWh of the Powerwall 2. Combine those with a 4x7 array of Jinko Cheetah panels and a Solis inverter.
    Neat solution.

Once the batteries are fully charged, sending the power to an immersion tank makes eminent sense. It might even be worth considering swapping the tank for a bigger one.

Even on a cloudy day, when the panels aren't producing much power, every Watt you send to the immersion heater will raise the water temperature.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

I see you're still doing the old "selective reading" and "out of context responses".

Selective reading ? I and others have spent a number of posts talking about nationwide or worldwide solutions and you keep talking about what you could do in your house. Who is not understanding the scope of the discussion? We are talking about powering the world and you are talking about your solar torch.

When scaling solutions you tend to cluster things to keep costs down. Do as little as possible in end users houses, if possible encourage them to do it themselves.

Yours may be the solution for a few well off individuals but the majority of households will not have £20-50K to spend on Solar PV, Powerwall and the various bits.

Even if you have a Powerwall or similar, when they are fully charged and there is no destination for the generated power where does it go? Answer is the Grid or you dump it. It requires a level of dedication to go off grid that most people won't have.

So it is not a solution for the majority only 2.7% of UK households have solar after 20 years of subsidy. Even if you can put a large number of chargers in the houses with driveways ,does each terraced house use their solar to feed the public ones? As most charging will be overnight what good will solar be, oh no add batteries at £10-20K.

Support hydrogen we can have a drop in for petrol without 8 year olds mining lithium or millions of cells festering in landfill.

The majority of green energy (~13% of generation) is made in commercially managed farms at very economic rates rather than subsidised private ones (1-2%) but we need to provide an adjustable load and grid capacity so we can use it. The most sensible approach seems to be creating a variable load (hydrogen or Economy2021) so we can build the base load on clean energy.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

V reaches for crayons! Assguru is back.

Ok so where is the excess generated electricity going? Do we need to fit every house with a powerwall as well, what happens when that is charged?

Generation needs to be closely matched to design.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Not what I said. No random dumping of it anywhere. I am suggesting that a house with modern solar panels would be capable of charging a car that was based at that house. You've Wailed your way down a whatabouttery slippery slope and ended up in the collapse of the electricity grid.
    V reaches for crayons! Assguru is back.

Ok so where is the excess generated electricity going? Do we need to fit every house with a powerwall as well, what happens when that is charged?

Generation needs to be closely matched to demand millions of PV KWs arriving on the grid in random places = flames & smoke.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    ... will randomly dump electricity into a balanced grid...
    Not what I said. No random dumping of it anywhere. I am suggesting that a house with modern solar panels would be capable of charging a car that was based at that house. You've Wailed your way down a whatabouttery slippery slope and ended up in the collapse of the electricity grid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X