• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XR now blocking M25

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

    Solar with battery storage works.
    One of the current solutions on solar is to charge the batteries and then divert excess to heat the hot water tank.
    I am in the process of getting plans drawn up for a new garage. Based on the calculations from a professional, if I do one side of the roof as solar, it will generate over 3x our daily usage per day in the summer. (and probably 1.5-2x in winter). That's just based on one side of a garage roof.
    Do the whole house and you could charge multiple cars easily.

    It also goes back to the comment about people re-thinking personal transport. Does someone need a car with 600 mile range per day if you only do a journey of that length maybe once a year (or less)?
    It's not going to be 600 miles as the batteries degrade. I have a 3-4 year old iphone (I know, INSKPE, but I don't like the new ones) which now has about half the standby time as when new. I know that's not a fair comparison, but all lithium batteries degrade over time. And I probably don't need to tell you how much environmental damage is caused by extracting lithium, producing batteries and then burying 90% of them in landfill when they are no longer useful.
    You are assuming that a car could be charged daily, but round my way I'd be lucky to find a vacant charger once a week, and it would involve a long walk home, and another long walk back to the car in the morning.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Does someone need a car with 600 mile range per day if you only do a journey of that length maybe once a year (or less)?
      For me, the benefit of a long EV range would be never needing to use public charging stations.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

        That would take a huge cut in the price of electricity. Currently, electricity is 21p/kWh and gas is 4.5p/kWh. I was surprised to discover that economy 7 isn't all that much cheaper than standard electricity.

        https://nottenergy.com/resources/energy-cost-comparison

        Or a massive hike in the price of gas.
        I would suggest it will be a bit of both.

        https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...ity-production

        $0.04 an hour wind electricity cost of generation. $0.08 for Solar.

        Economy7 was to balance the Grid issues 50 years ago, you got your electricity constantly it was just during the night.

        Ecomomy2021 would be an erratic supply that guaranteed X KWH over 24 hours during the night (about half the time) or you get a partial refund. Loads would need to be mainly resistive and not sensitive to interruption. Because it is not continuous it makes sense it would be cheaper than economy7

        Assuming the costs for gas double/treble (its coming because apparently we need to replace the pipes for hydrogen boilers) then 4-12p for storage & water heating is now cheap. Because it is a variable load it could occur at any time. Your storage heating / hot water could be fed by Solar if the sun is shining brightly.
        "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

        I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

          For me, the benefit of a long EV range would be never needing to use public charging stations.
          Have your butler do it.
          "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

          I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            You are assuming that a car could be charged daily, but round my way I'd be lucky to find a vacant charger once a week, and it would involve a long walk home, and another long walk back to the car in the morning.
            No, I'm suggesting that a car could be charged from electricity generated renewably at home.
            {emotionless greeting}

            Three Word Slogan

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by WTFH View Post

              No, I'm suggesting that a car could be charged from electricity generated renewably at home.
              About 50% of UK dwellings have satisfactory insulation (figures from the fuel poverty report used to drive EPC improvements). However we really need to fit every building with Solar & a wind turbine that will randomly dump electricity into a balanced grid so we can all buy and charge electric cars.

              OK makes total sense.
              "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

              I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by vetran View Post
                ... will randomly dump electricity into a balanced grid...
                Not what I said. No random dumping of it anywhere. I am suggesting that a house with modern solar panels would be capable of charging a car that was based at that house. You've Wailed your way down a whatabouttery slippery slope and ended up in the collapse of the electricity grid.
                {emotionless greeting}

                Three Word Slogan

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by WTFH View Post

                  Not what I said. No random dumping of it anywhere. I am suggesting that a house with modern solar panels would be capable of charging a car that was based at that house. You've Wailed your way down a whatabouttery slippery slope and ended up in the collapse of the electricity grid.
                  V reaches for crayons! Assguru is back.

                  Ok so where is the excess generated electricity going? Do we need to fit every house with a powerwall as well, what happens when that is charged?

                  Generation needs to be closely matched to demand millions of PV KWs arriving on the grid in random places = flames & smoke.


                  "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

                  I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by vetran View Post

                    V reaches for crayons! Assguru is back.

                    Ok so where is the excess generated electricity going? Do we need to fit every house with a powerwall as well, what happens when that is charged?

                    Generation needs to be closely matched to design.
                    I see you're still doing the old "selective reading" and "out of context responses".

                    As mentioned earlier, batteries & immersion tank is the current thinking, because feed in tariffs are so low they are not worth doing.

                    If you've looked into how hybrid inverters work, then you'll understand APC - the inverter monitors the power being produced and the levels of storage available. It's the same principle used in fully off-grid PV systems.

                    We'll probably use Fox LV5200s for storage - about half the price per kWh of the Powerwall 2. Combine those with a 4x7 array of Jinko Cheetah panels and a Solis inverter.
                    {emotionless greeting}

                    Three Word Slogan

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by WTFH View Post

                      I see you're still doing the old "selective reading" and "out of context responses".

                      As mentioned earlier, batteries & immersion tank is the current thinking, because feed in tariffs are so low they are not worth doing.

                      If you've looked into how hybrid inverters work, then you'll understand APC - the inverter monitors the power being produced and the levels of storage available. It's the same principle used in fully off-grid PV systems.

                      We'll probably use Fox LV5200s for storage - about half the price per kWh of the Powerwall 2. Combine those with a 4x7 array of Jinko Cheetah panels and a Solis inverter.
                      Selective reading ? I and others have spent a number of posts talking about nationwide or worldwide solutions and you keep talking about what you could do in your house. Who is not understanding the scope of the discussion? We are talking about powering the world and you are talking about your solar torch.

                      When scaling solutions you tend to cluster things to keep costs down. Do as little as possible in end users houses, if possible encourage them to do it themselves.

                      Yours may be the solution for a few well off individuals but the majority of households will not have £20-50K to spend on Solar PV, Powerwall and the various bits.

                      Even if you have a Powerwall or similar, when they are fully charged and there is no destination for the generated power where does it go? Answer is the Grid or you dump it. It requires a level of dedication to go off grid that most people won't have.

                      So it is not a solution for the majority only 2.7% of UK households have solar after 20 years of subsidy. Even if you can put a large number of chargers in the houses with driveways ,does each terraced house use their solar to feed the public ones? As most charging will be overnight what good will solar be, oh no add batteries at £10-20K.

                      Support hydrogen we can have a drop in for petrol without 8 year olds mining lithium or millions of cells festering in landfill.

                      The majority of green energy (~13% of generation) is made in commercially managed farms at very economic rates rather than subsidised private ones (1-2%) but we need to provide an adjustable load and grid capacity so we can use it. The most sensible approach seems to be creating a variable load (hydrogen or Economy2021) so we can build the base load on clean energy.







                      "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

                      I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X