• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dr Who 2021 to 2022

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's the same person regardless of body so no, the Dr can't regenerate as non-binary logically. After 900 hundred years they really shouldn't need to come out.
    But you're probably right.
    Hmmm....Well, now I haven't watched a single episode but by that definition isn't him turning female if the person is male should also be a tad problematic shouldn't it? The doctor has already changed gender no? Did they refer to Jodie with male pronouns? If not and they called her she then that horse has bolted. Pronouns have already changed so would be open season now?

That could have been a very good argument why a female couldn't be the doctor back in the day but it happened and it worked so not a barrier now?

Of the few major characters out there I would have thought the doctor, being quirky and a little different and the body changes was one that would accomodate major changes to reflect society. Others are going to be an utter nightmare to understand. A non binary James Bond with they/them prounouns is going to be very difficult for many people to get their heads around.

On a similar vein I really didn't get Jodie Turner-Smith as a black lesbian Anne Boleyn. Good drama and can't fault her acting etc but... well... it was a historical drama based on some facts we do know, one of those is her race. Nothing wrong with the show and all that, just found it a bit....odd. Artistic licence and all I get it. Just, dunno, Idris as James Bond, just seems perfect but Jodie as Anne B.. Missed it for me I think.

I do think there are odd situations where the race/gender of the character needs to fit because of the portrayal of the original character. No need to change it just because. But on the whole, all the other characters can be anyone whos up to the job.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 July 2021, 21:35.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Hmmm....Well, now I haven't watched a single episode but by that definition isn't him turning female if the person is male should also be a tad problematic shouldn't it? The doctor has already changed gender no? Did they refer to Jodie with male pronouns? If not and they called her she then that horse has bolted. Pronouns have already changed so would be open season now?

That could have been a very good argument why a female couldn't be the doctor back in the day but it happened and it worked so not a barrier now?

Of the few major characters out there I would have thought the doctor, being quirky and a little different and the body changes was one that would accomodate major changes to reflect society. Others are going to be an utter nightmare to understand. A non binary James Bond with they/them prounouns is going to be very difficult for many people to get their heads around.

On a similar vein I really didn't get Jodie Turner-Smith as a black lesbian Anne Boleyn. Good drama and can't fault her acting etc but... well... it was a historical drama based on some facts we do know, one of those is her race. Nothing wrong with the show and all that, just found it a bit....odd. Artistic licence and all I get it. Just, dunno, Idris as James Bond, just seems perfect but Jodie as Anne B.. Missed it for me I think.

I do think there are odd situations where the race/gender of the character needs to fit because of the portrayal of the original character. No need to change it just because. But on the whole, all the other characters can be anyone whos up to the job.
      It's a far more nuanced issue. You're supposed to look past the physical appearance and look at the portrayal of the character. . In fact it is the complete opposite of this modern idiocy that, for example, only a Scot can play a character from Scotland or because Lyndhurst did such a brilliant job as Rodney he can only ever be cast as a tall, skinny, cockney moron. If Anne Boleyn was on radio, you would not have had any issue at all with Jodie Turner-Smith playing her.

The actor is not the character. Quite the reverse in fact.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        with the possible exception of othello decent actors can play anything.
        Oh, I'm sure that black actors could play it. Think of the saving on blackface.

...wait... what's that...? The 1980s want their attitudes back... Oh, I see.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Meera Syal would be very believable.
          Ooh yes, she's a good choice

Or for extra quirkiness, how about Helena Bonham Carter?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Ooh yes, she's a good choice

Or for extra quirkiness, how about Helena Bonham Carter?
            yep she would tick the box for me.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Oh, I'm sure that black actors could play it. Think of the saving on blackface.

...wait... what's that...? The 1980s want their attitudes back... Oh, I see.
              The sarcasm was about the offence about Othello. We are talking about changing the Age, Gender & race of a Character who has traditionally been old & white because of diversity, yet activists insist you can't play Othello unless you are black.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Eddie Redmayne, Damian Lewis, Benedict Cumberbatch.

"Still not ginger"

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

this guy

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Richard Ayoade would be fun. I would actually watch it if he was the next Doc.
                    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                      Richard Ayoade would be fun. I would actually watch it if he was the next Doc.
                      That's a good suggestion!

Comment

Working...
                      X