• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dr Who 2021 to 2022"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    And so it begins.
    And so it ends, until New Year's Day.

Baffled.

It never used to be this complicated.

Though, looking on the bright side, Berty Bassett wasn't in this one.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Dr Who is written for children not adults.
    It's supposed to be family viewing and appeal to adults as well. Compare and contrast Dr Who at the time of the Sarah Jane Adventures. The latter was definitely for kids. They were quite different. (Although SJA was higher quality than the stuff Dr Who churns out now).

Well written kids stuff, even on CBeebies, is eminently watchable by adults.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I know some children who enjoy it.

Then again the don't really follow storylines at the moment....
    Chibnall writes for children. That's really the whole problem...

But like a good pantomime they used to be written on two levels so us grown up children could enjoy them as well

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Mr Bean would be a Dr Who I would watch. Not Rowan Atkinson but actually Mr Bean.
    Other than that I gave up a few years ago when out of the entire series Capaldi had one good episode.

I know some children who enjoy it.

Then again the don't really follow storylines at the moment....

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Mr Bean would be a Dr Who I would watch. Not Rowan Atkinson but actually Mr Bean.
    Other than that I gave up a few years ago when out of the entire series Capaldi had one good episode.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    at qntm.org you can download free ebooks. Or you can buy on amazon. There is no Antimemetics Division is seriously disturbing.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Ah, OK....

I'm mostly using the SF Gateway Library, a lot of which is on Kindle. Anything of interest that isn't will go on the Christmas wish list

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Don't recognise that one...
    https://qntm.org/

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Fair enough. qntm?
    Don't recognise that one...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

I have. Clever ideas but zero atmosphere and I got bored. Nowhere near the likes of Banks or Bear for the story telling (aka "creating a universe" or "padding" depending on your viewpoint!) around that basic premise.

Must admit I'm back to reading the Greats again - Heinlein, Silverberg and the rest. Now they could tell a story...
    Fair enough. qntm?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Must admit I'm back to reading the Greats again - Heinlein, Silverberg and the rest. Now they could tell a story...
    ^^^ This. Not too keen on Silverberg, but Asimov, Heinlein, Niven, Zelazny et al.

Then again, I'd have to excavate some of those out of the garage.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Try the Quantum Magician - Derek Künsken
    I have. Clever ideas but zero atmosphere and I got bored. Nowhere near the likes of Banks or Bear for the story telling (aka "creating a universe" or "padding" depending on your viewpoint!) around that basic premise.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Much prefer the Culture novels or almost anything by Greg Bear for extrapolative SF. But there are plenty of good old-fashioned "wild and woolly" SF novels out there, some of which are very readable if not particularly informative.
    Try the Quantum Magician - Derek Künsken

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Many forums ban any sort of advocacy for illegal actions so NAT may, as moderator, be playing it clean.
    Where I live, torrenting is legal - so long as you don't upload.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Misery.

I don't believe you don't have any torrent tools installed somewhere.
    Many forums ban any sort of advocacy for illegal actions so NAT may, as moderator, be playing it clean.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X