• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£600-£650 a day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Except we aren't getting up with the sparrows and doing hard physical labour in all weathers to earn it.

I'm perfectly happy sitting on my arse in an air con office or at home and getting paid that thank you.
    And being or feeling crippled by the time we are in our 50s.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I managed to achive that after 30 years in the office!

Comment

by 50s we will all retire as millionaires.

jokes apart , in 50s we should take up a physical job if we do not want to be crippled in 70s

Comment

My mates dad decided he was getting on a bit when he couldn't carry 2 bags of cement in his 60s. He was a carpenter and general builder who had been working on site since 15.

Cancer got him in the end in his 70s but he was still fit until a few months from the end.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yes, my FIL was a brickie. Build like the proverbial outhouse. Now in his 90's still fit as a fiddle. Dementia has got him though, so QoL is very low.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              Seems people in IT think they somehow earn good pay, £600 a day is pretty standard for Southern England even for a plasterer or electrician.
              I don't think that's true but even if it were, why would it mean the person in IT isn't on good pay just because someone else earns the same or more?
              "even" a plasterer or electrician... they are skilled trades which take years to become expert at. Just because you plastered your bathroom or wired a plug doesn't make it less skilled than IT, in the same way your plasterer being able to hack themself a website doesn't make them a software developer.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I don't think that's true but even if it were, why would it mean the person in IT isn't on good pay just because someone else earns the same or more?
                "even" a plasterer or electrician... they are skilled trades which take years to become expert at. Just because you plastered your bathroom or wired a plug doesn't make it less skilled than IT, in the same way your plasterer being able to hack themself a website doesn't make them a software developer.
                The best software developers can add millions in value to clients and employers above what they charge.

The best plaster can add only marginal value above an average one.

I know i have saved my client at least a million quid with the elegant solutions i have given them, they would normally hire a big team that would generate a massive bloated code base with lots of bugs and cost a fortune to maintain over the next five years.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

The best software developers can add millions in value to clients and employers above what they charge.

I know i have saved my client at least a million quid with the elegant solutions i have given them, they would normally hire a big team that would generate a massive bloated code base with lots of bugs and cost a fortune to maintain over the next five years.
                  Shame you're paid based on market economics rather than commission then.
                  And when a room full of amazing people like you can't work for a week because the electricians/plasterers were slow, how much does that cost?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Shame you're paid based on market economics rather than commission then.
                    And when a room full of amazing people like you can't work for a week because the electricians/plasterers were slow, how much does that cost?
                    To be fair he could probably work without a plasterer though it would be against H&S regs and be grim. However he definitely couldn't work without an electrician.....
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

In order for your client to save a few squillion quid with your brilliantness, you need those plasterers (and associated trads). So their added value is many multiples of what you add.

I was well aware when I was earning a few hundred k a year that I was saving my client far more than that. That's why they took me on.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X