• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£600-£650 a day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Except we aren't getting up with the sparrows and doing hard physical labour in all weathers to earn it.

I'm perfectly happy sitting on my arse in an air con office or at home and getting paid that thank you.
    That's fine, just don't go around thinking £650 per day is anything special these days compared to many manual trades.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      Seems people in IT think they somehow earn good pay, £600 a day is pretty standard for Southern England even for a plasterer or electrician.
      Prices for tradesmen have gone up a lot, but even in the south they are nowhere near £600 pd. You can easily be quoted £300 or so now, though, and our area is very much London prices. Last year I was paying £160 pd for a very good plasterer.

Comment

It's like deja vu all over again...
        Reminded me of Harry Enfield playing a plasterer in this video:

Last edited by Fraidycat; 26 July 2021, 16:48.

Comment

Seems people in IT think they somehow earn good pay, £600 a day is pretty standard for Southern England even for a plasterer or electrician.
          Yeah....no, this is just bollocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            Typical "headline not matching what was said" tabloid click-bait.
            It's also completely missing that most bricklayers are on price work and are completely weather dependent - and will usually be working as a gang. No single brickie is coming close to 1000 bricks on your average house build, real life kicks in!

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

Prices for tradesmen have gone up a lot, but even in the south they are nowhere near £600 pd. You can easily be quoted £300 or so now, though, and our area is very much London prices. Last year I was paying £160 pd for a very good plasterer.

Yeh, £600 seems fanciful. I'm only just outside the M25 area and last time I used a plasterer about 4 years ago it was about £200-250/day and he was absolutely top notch.

Used a brickie for a small job about 18 months ago and it was about £250/day IIRC.

Electricians seem to be the trade that is very in demand at the moment. All the good ones I know are booked up weeks and months in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

With 20% fixed tax for construction sector. Bookies and pubs must be racking it…
                That's not how CIS scheme works.

The 20% deduction is simply an advance payment to HMRC.. they still need to do a tax return and still owe what they owe.

The reason for the CIS scheme is just because too many people in that industry don't do their taxes or pay their tax bill... So in that case at least HMRC gets the 20%.

But it's absolutely not a fixed tax rate.

Comment

When you see hourly rates between £50 and £150 for plumbers doing small jobs. Makes you think they are coining it.

Or when they appear to charging you thousands in labour to fit a new boiler.

But those don't take into account void periods, which will lower the average they make.

Plus they spend time going around to give estimates and writing quotations for work they might never get.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post

That's not how CIS scheme works.

The 20% deduction is simply an advance payment to HMRC.. they still need to do a tax return and still owe what they owe.

The reason for the CIS scheme is just because too many people in that industry don't do their taxes or pay their tax bill... So in that case at least HMRC gets the 20%.

But it's absolutely not a fixed tax rate.
                    Yup, found it later. It's 20% income tax on profit then class 2 and class 4 nics. Overall much better than inside IR35 but not quite sure if better than LTD.
                    Even at £400 pd, if you get to do a few months per year I think you have a cracking deal. 400 self employed is probably equivalent of £540 inside IR35, expenses also allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                      When you see hourly rates between £50 and £150 for plumbers doing small jobs. Makes you think they are coining it.

Or when they appear to charging you thousands in labour to fit a new boiler.

But those don't take into account void periods, which will lower the average they make.

Plus they spend time going around to give estimates and writing quotations for work they might never get.
                      it's true but you can get hammered in the pub every night or inbetween gigs, or even during the gig. You still fit the boiler in the end and get the money. It's not as if contractors don't have to keep up with the technologies, spend time outside of work studying or have a few months in-between gigs. The worse is probably being a permi anyway... that is for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X