• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Just hypothetically ('cos I don't think it would happen), but if enough rebel Tories colluded with the opposition to force a General Election, before Article 50 was invoked, wouldn't that delay it's invocation somewhat? And if in that G.E. the winning party had lobbied on the basis of staying in the EU and ignoring the referendum... well, that would be interesting times indeed.
    Yes, that is a valid scenario. Incredibly improbable, but undeniably possible. The political landscape would need to change fundamentally before it became a material probability.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Just hypothetically ('cos I don't think it would happen), but if enough rebel Tories colluded with the opposition to force a General Election, before Article 50 was invoked, wouldn't that delay it's invocation somewhat? And if in that G.E. the winning party had lobbied on the basis of staying in the EU and ignoring the referendum... well, that would be interesting times indeed.
      But would it win? GEs are traditionally voted for on party lines. Both main parties are split on the EU. And you would get Farage back.

I suspect the leave party would win.

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
        And were told the referendum is non-binding.
        By who? The government leaflet that cost £9m of tax payers money clearly stated the government would implement the result. I'm surprised that hasn't been raised in court yet.

Or was it to be implemented providing we voted the 'right' way?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Yes, that is a valid scenario. Incredibly improbable, but undeniably possible. The political landscape would need to change fundamentally before it became a material probability.
          No, I think this is the only option. No politician wants the UK to leave the EU.
          The referendum was a populist event by the as.shole Cameron.
          No they all know one government must be sacrificed (hence BoJo is in this one).The next one will just put in their agenda one thing - disregard the referendum result. And they will win.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            Not my words. The ex gov of the mpc and one of his sidekicks, now a prof at Princeton.

Still, if you guys want to regurgitate your usual schoolboy economics then no one will stop you.
            Tell me. How much more competitive can the UK get with GBP now at €1.11 and $1.22? The good news keeps rolling in!

Comment

By who? The government leaflet that cost £9m of tax payers money clearly stated the government would implement the result. I'm surprised that hasn't been raised in court yet.

Leaflet has no legal weight. Farage stated we can put £350m/w into HNS. So what?

Comment

Your fellow travellers are too busy making death threats to the legal team seeking to assert the sovereignty of parliament over the royal prerogative.

Comment

Do you really think Labour would do anything to force a GE right now? They're 17 points behind in the polls. Many of them are in constituencies that voted to leave. They'd almost be as irrelevant as the Lib Dems under an overwhelming Conservative majority.

I think the country largely "gets it". We voted to leave, now whether that's what you voted for or not, we need to get on with the process of leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by kolata View Post
                    No, I think this is the only option. No politician wants the UK to leave the EU.
                    The referendum was a populist event by the as.shole Cameron.
                    No they all know one government must be sacrificed (hence BoJo is in this one).The next one will just put in their agenda one thing - disregard the referendum result. And they will win.
                    You're forgetting the minor impediment of the voting public. If it became clear that May was at risk (the job of the whips to telegraph), May would seek a mandate from incredibly high personal approval ratings. A GE in itself offers little hope for the bremoaners. Events would need to intervene first that completely changed the public mood. I concede that the latter is possible. Brexit aside, we're overdue a financial crash. However, it remains very unlikely, as the timetable is rather compressed since May announced a date for A50.

Comment

The great repeal act will easily get through, the problem will come when the government needs to get legislation through for its "Hard Brexit", because until then EU law remains British law. That could easily be thwarted, and then the UK will end up "half stuck" in the EU.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X