• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The £350 million per week is definitely happening.
    Stick to your guns. You're becoming more Irish by the day, or at least like my missus' version.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Nonsense. It quotes: ""Model trains are not an essential item and people buy wisely and vote with their feet," he warns."

I dispute that and claim model trains are essential to society as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
        Stick to your guns. You're becoming more Irish by the day, or at least like my missus' version.
        Grand so.

Comment

The government's jurisdiction is a matter of some dispute.

Supreme Court Article 50 court case day 3: Lord Chief Justice was 'baffled' by the UK government's key arguments - Business Insider

As it happens, I think parliament should have a vote and that they should vote to trigger Article 50, but they would then have an opportunity to put parliamentary checks and balances on the government's exercise of the royal prerogative in the negotiation period.

I would say that Lord Pannick who retired from the Supreme Court is the most authoritative and respected QC in the UK. It is highly doubtful that he would lose a case even if it is against the government and appealed in the SC.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            I would say that Lord Pannick who retired from the Supreme Court is the most authoritative and respected QC in the UK. It is highly doubtful that he would lose a case even if it is against the government and appealed in the SC.
            Well, you never know once it's chucked into the court system. I'm hoping it gets appealed to the European Court of Justice, just for the lolz.

Comment

Well, you never know once it's chucked into the court system. I'm hoping it gets appealed to the European Court of Justice, just for the lolz.
              Just had a think about this, (apart from the European Court of Justice would be the wrong court for the most part of the case) but some aspects of the case could be appealed to the ECtHR (European Court of Human Rights) which incidentally in not part of the EU membership.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                At this level it's more about getting the correct outcome than winning or losing.

More interestingly, the arguments for and against weren't much more complex than the ones we have on here. One of my favourites was that if we left the EU we wouldn't be able to appeal to the ecj. Well wasn't that one of the reasons for leaving?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  At this level it's more about getting the correct outcome than winning or losing.

More interestingly, the arguments for and against weren't much more complex than the ones we have on here. One of my favourites was that if we left the EU we wouldn't be able to appeal to the ecj. Well wasn't that one of the reasons for leaving?
                  It may be one of the reasons for leaving but that's not relevant to whether power resides with parliament or government to undo the laws by which the ECJ has legal status. Presumably you agree that laws should not be dispensed with or suspended without the consent of Parliament, as per the 1689 Bill of Rights?

Comment

It may be one of the reasons for leaving but that's not relevant to whether power resides with parliament or government to undo the laws by which the ECJ has legal status. Presumably you agree that laws should not be dispensed with or suspended without the consent of Parliament, as per the 1689 Bill of Rights?
                    No idea what was in that bill. The referendum was quoted in the manifesto. The government was elected. Parliament confirmed the terms of the referendum. The people voted. The government is implementing as agreed. No extra vote required.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                      No idea what was in that bill. The referendum was quoted in the manifesto. The government was elected. Parliament confirmed the terms of the referendum. The people voted. The government is implementing as agreed. No extra vote required.
                      It is encouraging that you, CUK's prime defender of parliamentary supremacy don't know about the Bill of Rights.

Comment

Working...
                      X