• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickey View Post
    What's wrong with foreigners being in the country? How are these foreigners different from those with British passports and a thick foreign accent? Don't other countries welcome both?
    Nothing, nothing, and Yes.

Restoring the former glory? How does that translate into a well-being of a particular individual?
    Self-determination is the bedrock of a truly democratic system. Within the EU we were being deprived of that privilege. Once we leave we will regain some sort of veto.

Holidays abroad? How come these don't matter?
    They DO matter and they WILL continue. Don't know why you would imagine otherwise?

Sterling down, inflation up. The job of BoE is to fight inflation by raising rates. What is that going to do to monthly mortgage repayments?
    Sterling fluctuates all the time. Since we voted my mortgage repayments have actually gone DOWN.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      It's pretty clear the government will cave in on the freedom of movement to cut a deal.
      Why not when they could do this https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...iming-benefits

What's good for one is surely good for everyone else?
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
        I agree re the supermarkets and treatment of suppliers. Some of it has been grossly unfair.

However, this is a supplier that has become uncompetitive due to currency fluctuations. The simple assumption that the supermarket and then the consumer would bear the brunt is incorrect.

And it's not just Tesco btw.

This could be fantastic news for local (meaning UK) producers. People still want to buy mustard/brown sauce etc, but if the price for importing it becomes prohibitive then people will look at the alternatives. There are plenty of superb alternatives out there. This would mean more UK jobs and as exports are cheap now, a better BoP.

Comment

This is how I see it playing it out:

- Unilever "backs" down temporarily
          - Jars of Marmite drop from 200gms to 180gms in 3-6 months time, prices stay the same

That's how Mars did it, they reduced the size of their chocolates across the range, though this was before the Brexit thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            The exact opposite of that. I'm sensing a pattern

Constructive ambiguity has been largely absent from HMG's position on net migration, in contrast to budget contributions, for example. May has been remarkably forthright, both on the order of priorities (net migration first, trade second) and on the degree of control that will be necessary (complete control, not fettered free movement). She didn't need to be that forthright, and she's now created a very difficult situation if she wants to reverse. By difficult, I mean insurmountable without a GE, which could happen, of course. However, I think it's telling that, other than her role at the BoE, she's well known for having few opinions on economic policy. She's a classic home secretary. The same is true of her two advisers, Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill. Mark my words, she'll be putting immigration first (esp. after the coalition gov't), because that's what she knows and understands.
            ...And the markets will no doubt widen her knowledge scope in due course.

Comment

Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
              This is how I see it playing it out:

- Unilever "backs" down temporarily
              - Jars of Marmite drop from 200gms to 180gms in 3-6 months time, prices stay the same

That's how Mars did it, they reduced the size of their chocolates across the range, though this was before the Brexit thing.
              Seems about right. In any event when a nation with the a current account deficit like ours, experiences a sudden sharp currency devaluation, high persistent inflation (of whatever kind) is sure to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                I can see us ending up paying to stay in the market but can't see freedom of movement as it is. Or being under the control of the ecj. They really wound up May.

Marmitegate shows the weakness of the EU though. The assumption amongst remainers was that we would just suck up higher prices and pay the price. Clearly not.

EU goods are becoming uncompetitive. And when tariffs are added then EU goods will really struggle. Goodbye Porsche (unfortunately).
                Actually Unilever does manufacture in the UK and it raised prices on those products as well. In the end the prices are going to rise, the question is when and by how much.

Incidentally, the German manufacturers are amongst the biggest customers of UK auto industry parts manufacturers, so when Porsche is hurt it will also hurt UK manufacturers.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 October 2016, 08:35.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
                  Seems about right. In any event when a nation with the a current account deficit like ours, experiences a sudden sharp currency devaluation, high persistent inflation (of whatever kind) is sure to follow.
                  Did you read the link I posted last night? I would guess not as you are saying the same thing Scooty was.

Comment

Actually Unilever does manufacture in the UK and it raised prices on those products as well. In the end the prices are going to rise, the question is when and by how much.

The German manufacturers are amongst the biggest customers of UK auto industry parts manufacturers, so when Porsche is hurt it will also hurt UK manufacturers.
                    So why are they blaming it on currency then? Because the CEO was pro remain?

Comment

Incidentally, the German manufacturers are amongst the biggest customers of UK auto industry parts manufacturers, so when Porsche is hurt it will also hurt UK manufacturers.
                      Marmite is sourced and produced in the UK 100% so. Unilever are simply trying to use Brexit to increase their profits. I know you are not going to like to hear this. As for Porsche components you are quite right that if people in the Uk stop buying Porsches because of the exchange rate then it will hit UK manufacturers but on the other hand UK components will become cheaper enabling Porsche to sell their cars for lower prices around the rest of the world

http://order-order.com/2016/10/13/ma...rced-produced/
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X