• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Just as well most of them pay more tax and take fewer benefits that equivalent Brits then.
    ah yes, those are apples, these are pears.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      working for minimum wage does not add to the economy. Sorry you don't break even until you get to £30K. Cheap workers are a false economy.
      I don't doubt that. And why is the anymore the EU's fault than the employers who continue to pay low wages? Or our offering refuge to the big tax dodger likes Google and Amazon who we proudly welcome into our capitals as providers of wealth/job creation yet take from our other hand.

I'd put good money on if all 1+ million EU migrants left the UK today you'd not see any change in UK house prices. The squeezed middle would still be dependant on the state.

Our expectations are miles out of kilter with what we can afford.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Oh dear, have they agreed that with Corbyn ?

Corbyn favours 'Norway model' post Brexit | The Independent

You're asking me if the moderate wing of Labour has an agreement with Corbyn? Corbyn has always been consistent on this (and light years away from the electorate). He would prefer unconstrained immigration, with gov't mitigating the impacts locally. However, Corbyn doesn't seek to represent, he seeks to change, which is why he'll never get close to gov't.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Interesting in what sense? The EU accounts for less than 7% of the global population.
          It's interesting because that 7% exports more to the world than the US. Germany alone export three times as much as the UK.

The UK will continue to have a need for hairdressers and shelf stackers. Local folk either don't have the skill or desire.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The more I listen to Brexiteer discourse, the more I understand that they are wilfully blind to the documented weaknesses of the British economy and its relative standing in the world, either through psychological denial or ignorance.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

The UK already has it's trade agreement with the EU and has simply torn it up. Don't you think it is rational that they defend their own interests ?

Are you suggesting that the UK is rational but the other 26 countries aren't, sounds like what a patient in the "funny farm" would say
              I'm saying exactly that.

We haven't torn anything up. Yet. What we are saying is we want to trade with European states in the same way other non European states do. Instead of rational negotiation we have the likes of the Slovak pm saying we must be worse off for leaving. That's fine. If they want to act like an abusive ex then go for it. But they can't expect us to continue to be civil at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                I'm saying exactly that.

We haven't torn anything up. Yet. What we are saying is we want to trade with European states in the same way other non European states do. Instead of rational negotiation we have the likes of the Slovak pm saying we must be worse off for leaving. That's fine. If they want to act like an abusive ex then go for it. But they can't expect us to continue to be civil at the same time.
                And then there's always gross stupidity, of course
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                  I'm saying exactly that.

No he's not saying that the UK should be worse off than any other non-European states. He's saying the UK shouldn't have as good a deal as a state which allows the free movement of people.

and no it's not an irrational position. It would be irrational for Slovakia to allow the UK to be able to attract inward investment for non-EU companies wanting to export to the EU whilst barring Slovakian people from working there. If the UK doesn't get a good deal, Slovakia will get more inward investment and create more jobs. That is a perfectly rational position.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    And then there's always gross stupidity, of course
                    I'll defer to your expertise in that.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

No he's not saying that the UK should be worse off than any other non-European states. He's saying the UK shouldn't have as good a deal as a state which allows the free movement of people.

and no it's not an irrational position. It would be irrational for Slovakia to allow the UK to be able to attract inward investment for non-EU companies wanting to export to the EU whilst barring Slovakian people from working there. If the UK doesn't get a good deal, Slovakia will get more inward investment and create more jobs. That is a perfectly rational position.
                      And if that's his approach that's fine but he should expect quite a few people heading home pdq.

Comment

Working...
                      X