• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    errr no

It's saying that a significant majority want to stay in the single market.

Brexit Bulletin: Does Theresa May Have a Secret Plan? - Bloomberg

Staying in the single market isn't the same as staying in the EU. The big difference being that the UK won't have a say, they'll just have to abide by the rules.

I think quite a few people are missing the main point. There is NO SOFT BREXIT OPTION on the table. The only 'Soft' option is the EEA and that is politically unacceptable. I voted remain but I would kick against the EEA option which is basically all the rules with no ability to influence or veto. The 'Bespoke British deal' that May and the 3 Brexiters are blabbing about is simply pie in the sky. It will never happen. The only options on the table are stay in (Ignore the referendum result, May's govt would fall if that happened.) or leave completely. The EU are banking on the fact that when the true cost of a hard Brexit starts to dawn the govt will row back. Both sides are dug in, buckle up, 2017 is going be one heck of a wild ride.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Why don't you answer the question?

Just one of those mysteries of life, I guess.
      Because I'm sure your googling skills are as good as mine, probably better.

Anyway, I've googled and copied the article at the top of the list. Finding the actual papers would take longer so you can do that yourself. However, this is from your mates at the Guardian and states that the £66bn is the worst case and that it's in 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
        I think quite a few people are missing the main point. There is NO SOFT BREXIT OPTION on the table. The only 'Soft' option is the EEA and that is politically unacceptable. I voted remain but I would kick against the EEA option which is basically all the rules with no ability to influence or veto. The 'Bespoke British deal' that May and the 3 Brexiters are blabbing about is simply pie in the sky. It will never happen. The only options on the table are stay in (Ignore the referendum result, May's govt would fall if that happened.) or leave completely. The EU are banking on the fact that when the true cost of a hard Brexit starts to dawn the govt will row back. Both sides are dug in, buckle up, 2017 is going be one heck of a wild ride.
        We should just leave the EU and get on with making our own trade deals.

Let SNP leader and first minister Nicola Sturgeon have her second Scottish independence referendum – and find out that a Hard Brexit is better than a Hard independence | City A.M.

The first minister talks of Brexit supporters trading on xenophobia, but it is a strange understanding of the word when her definition of a “Hard” Brexit would make it easier for doctors from India and technicians from Korea to be welcomed to our shores.

A xenophobia where the UK trade secretary is discussing free trade deals around the world and seeks to free the poorest of nations punished by the high tariffs of the EU’s despicable Customs Union. A xenophobia that demands of us that we take our seat at the top tables of world institutions from which we have been absent for some 40 years, that we become truly internationalist, for without that approach our country will wither and die.

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
          I'm sure we will get a deal. You always forget the cost to the EU states. It may well be a fudge but doing a deal is the only sensible option (assumption that EU Commission will do sensible).

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
            I'm sure we will get a deal. You always forget the cost to the EU states. It may well be a fudge but doing a deal is the only sensible option (assumption that EU Commission will do sensible).
            There never was a soft Brexit (if that means also leaving the single market as no one not even Cameron and Osborne admitted) and whatever deal is struck it will be "Bespoke" anyway. I am not sure what all the hysteria is about.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              There never was a soft Brexit (if that means also leaving the single market as no one not even Cameron and Osborne admitted) and whatever deal is struck it will be "Bespoke" anyway. I am not sure what all the hysteria is about.
              Not this then: Britain looks at paying into EU budget after Brexit to get market access - FT | Reuters. Looks like the referendum was all about migration then
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Totally agree.

The hysteria is the Remnants last ditch at halting the process.

The EU rhetoric has hardened as they finally realise this is for real and it's going to cost them. They therefore revert to type, which in their case is threats and bullying.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Not this then: Britain looks at paying into EU budget after Brexit to get market access - FT | Reuters. Looks like the referendum was all about migration then
                  Isn't that a bespoke deal / fudge (if you're cynical)?

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Of course Britain is going to "look at" why would we not?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
                      Yup agree with this, ranging from a Soft Brexit a la Switzerland, to a Hard Brexit.

A key decision will be whether we remain in the customs union.

The publication of Boris's article shows there isn't really enough conviction for a "Hard Brexit". A Hard Brexit requires leadership, an uncompromising "Margaret Thatcher" type with strong support,"bullying" everyone else. what we have though is an opportunistic "woffley" government throwing a bit of read meat now and then to the Daily Express and Sun readers but with no stomache to back up the rhetoric.

It will be interesting
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 October 2016, 08:22.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X