• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    The PM: "I will trigger Article 50 by February".
    Tusk: "The PM will trigger Article 50 by February".
    Press Office: "Mr. Tusk has given his interpretation of the PM's words".
    Eastern European countries ‘will veto any Brexit deal that diminishes rights of their citizens who live and work in UK’ | The Independent

a Downing Street source said Ms May did not specifically mention January or February at the meeting

Of course that article contains another bombshell doesn't it

It looks like the Eastern Europeans will be playing hardball, regardless of whether Germany is keen or not for a deal that restricts the movement of workers.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 18 September 2016, 10:52.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

I've thought of a really easy way to solve this.

We have a reciprocal agreement where by anyone who is supporting themselves can stay and those who rely on the state to provide can go back to their country of origin.

That seems fair to me, what about you lot?

Comment

protectionism "the theory or practice of shielding a country's domestic industries from foreign competition by taxing imports."

Which is effectively the path we're engaging but with one minor drawback. We don't have any domestic industry left to protect!

Unless of course you count the hotdog caravan in Watford industrial estate.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

It looks like the Eastern Europeans will be playing hardball, regardless of whether Germany is keen or not for a deal that restricts the movement of workers.
          May's new Brexit strategy: Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge. The five D's of dodgeball.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            I've thought of a really easy way to solve this.

We have a reciprocal agreement where by anyone who is supporting themselves can stay and those who rely on the state to provide can go back to their country of origin.

That seems fair to me, what about you lot?
            This rule already exists. (bar the small print) EU citizens have a right to visit up to 90 days in a member country. Any longer they need to register (normally with the police), have proof to financially support themselves such a having employment or substantial funds in their bank account.

I had to (and still) do the same when resident in other EU counties. The problem is with the UK that has sloppy and laid-back rules and over enthusiastic benefit departments not applying the rules strictly. There is no way I could stay in another EU country more than 90 days without registering, have proof of income and signing a declaration that I will not claim benefits.

I know many Europeans who never bother to register their stay in the UK .

Moreover, f****** c*** Farage, is very anti-European emigration but openly states that we should have free movement of “skilled” commonwealth workers into the country instead.

There was a tw*** UKIP councillor who spoker on R4 yesterday saying that he voted Brexit to stop muslim immigration. WTF has that to do with EU membership?
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Eastern European countries ‘will veto any Brexit deal that diminishes rights of their citizens who live and work in UK’ | The Independent

Of course that article contains another bombshell doesn't it

Read that yesterday. They don't want their citizens treated as second class. But this is the group that objects to refugee quotas. They obviously are second class.

So what do they want? Are they saying anyone here already should have equal rights? Or are they saying that unless their people can come here as and when they want, they won't let us leave? Good luck with that .

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                May's new Brexit strategy: Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge. The five D's of dodgeball.
                So we send all eastern Europeans back home. They send all ours back home. What's the balance on that? Or are they expecting the rest of the EU to do the same out of sympathy? Not a Feckin chance.

Comment

So we send all eastern Europeans back home. They send all ours back home. What's the balance on that?
                  Well no one remains to stack your shelves in ASDA. On the plus side the rest of us can enjoy Prague without drunken hen parties.

Comment

Read that yesterday. They don't want their citizens treated as second class. But this is the group that objects to refugee quotas. They obviously are second class.

So what do they want? Are they saying anyone here already should have equal rights? Or are they saying that unless their people can come here as and when they want, they won't let us leave? Good luck with that .
                    It's quite simple. Eastern European countries require FDI (foreign direct investment). They do get it but at the moment the UK gets most of it, however that's OK because Eastern Europeans still benefit as they can get jobs in the UK. If the UK keeps access to the single market but blocks EU migration especially from Eastern European countries then they'll make sure the UK doesn't have access to the single market. Eastern European countries don't export anything to the UK so they would have nothing to lose in blocking a deal. However much Germany might want a deal, they have a veto.

It's up to Ms May to square the circle.

It will be interesting, just another factor that will make the negotiations tortuous.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Doing and saying nothing while planning is exactly what we should be doing just now. It is making them nervous and their public falls outs are showing their hand. It can also be taken as read that we will be listening to a great many of their private conversations, there is no way they can maintain secrecy in such a large group.

I think it is guaranteed we will not offer freedom of movement, when they knock that back we will just walk away. They will collectively fall out and we will play them off each other with the information we have gathered. I'm confident we have the upper hand in this and I'm happy with no trade deal.

I expect the process to go quit smoothly and post brexit Britain to be a better place.

Comment

Working...
                      X