• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theresa May promises only 'some control' over EU migration post-Brexit - Politics live

Theresa May promises only 'some control' over EU migration post-Brexit - Politics live | Politics | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      If there is a quota system it sounds very "Soviet Union", with politicians deciding who we need. This approach means some businesses will get their people and others won't.
      There is already quota on work permits... this I am sure resulted in higher demand for EU workers.

Comment

Brexit 'shock' threatens to do far more damage to the European economy than to Britain

the depression gripping large parts of Europe has gone on for so long now that they have lost the capacity to mend, a phenomenon known as hysteresis.

No-one can say how the Eurozone crisis might eventually resolve itself. Political will has kept the single currency alive for far longer than conventional economic analysis suggests should have been the case. What’s clear is that we are fast approaching some kind of tipping point which Brexit is very much a part of;

Comment

Oh dear indeed: Immigration: May rejects points-based system for EU nationals - BBC News

It wasn't official until now, but since I am saying it's official, it is now!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Theresa May promises only 'some control' over EU migration post-Brexit - Politics live

Theresa May promises only 'some control' over EU migration post-Brexit - Politics live | Politics | The Guardian
            Interesting this seems to be going in the direction of anyone with a job offer from the EU can come, which in effect means hardly any change at all, since virtually all EU immigrants come to get a job.

One maybe justified in thinking, what is the point of Brexit.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

virtually all EU immigrants come to get a job.

Top comment there: "Brexit campaigners in a nutshell"

Comment

If there is a quota system it sounds very "Soviet Union", with politicians deciding who we need. This approach means some businesses will get their people and others won't.

At the moment businesses decide who they want and they get them. When the new rules come in they'll have spend a huge amount of time discussing their open positions with bureaucrats and politicians.

A bureaucrat at the immigration dept, has absolutely no idea about the suitability of a candidate for a particular job, and nor does he have any idea about how whether job A or job B is more or less important for the economy. In effect bureaucrats will decide which businesses fail or succeed.
                As I said before the UK is a jobs repository for EU workers it is not hiring the skills it really needs, so any visa system will just add complexity but it isn't going to matter enough to determine whether companies fail or succeed.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Brexit 'shock' threatens to do far more damage to the European economy than to Britain

the depression gripping large parts of Europe has gone on for so long now that they have lost the capacity to mend, a phenomenon known as hysteresis.

No-one can say how the Eurozone crisis might eventually resolve itself. Political will has kept the single currency alive for far longer than conventional economic analysis suggests should have been the case. What’s clear is that we are fast approaching some kind of tipping point which Brexit is very much a part of;
                  More Telegraph bollux.
                  Europe isn't a single entity in terms of economic performance.
                  Greece is a basket case and shouldn't be in the Euro zone at all.
                  Italy and France seem to be coasting.
                  Spain, Germany and to a lesser degree Ireland are booming:

https://www.ft.com/content/4a09a4e6-...1-1055824ca907
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    As I said before the UK is a jobs repository for EU workers it is not hiring the skills it really needs, so any visa system will just add complexity but it isn't going to matter enough to determine whether companies fail or succeed.
                    It does if the intention is to block migration, i.e. allowing in only a fraction of those needed by business. Obviously if they can't hire they'll just relocate.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

I get this feeling May will end up with the same deal Call Me Dave had

Comment

Working...
                      X