• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Highest day rate you have ever seen for your skillset.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post

I would be keen to hear what rates are in 2023 and if I am underpaid and if so by how much

How much are you paid?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I would be keen to hear what rates are in 2023 and if I am underpaid and if so by how much
      If others are earning more it doesn't automatically follow that you are underpaid.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

How much are you paid?
        As a project manager in finance working five days in the office 8AM -> 6PM perm salaries are 120K with a 3% pension contribution. Bonus is +5%. A comparable contractor amount is 700 per day

Those are my numbers - Kind enough to share yours ?

Comment

As a project manager in finance working five days in the office 8AM -> 6PM perm salaries are 120K with a 3% pension contribution. Bonus is +5%. A comparable contractor amount is 700 per day

Take it contract amount is £700 inside?
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Take it contract amount is £700 inside?
            Hello - It used to be 650 outside - It is now 700 inside. I have given up up on trying to get a forumla for comparing 120K perm to 650 outside to 700 inside and to understand precisely the quantum difference in pre / post tax between these employment options

So in the spirit of this thread I am soul searching for experiences from many on this group on what they see today in their field for contract rates (and where possible perm equivalents)

I hope not to get banned for participation in this much welcomed topic and I undertake to limit myself to one response per day to avoid accusations that may flourish

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              ... and how many tax dodges you run (e.g. fleeing to Switzerland...
              Oy. I resemble that remark.

My highest rate was £2000 for zero hours work. I got a contract to work at Enron in London for £500 a day, back in 1997. They cancelled the project. I was contacted by the agency and they told me the contract was gone, but they'd been paid the one weeks notice and so were passing on my share.

I know. Maybe they were on like 200% commission or something.

That works out at £∞ per hour.

I win. You are all losers.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Once upon a time in year 2000 I heard stories of contractors getting 1K a day plus equity for C++ / Java development in front office banking

These days it looks like 700 is the max number and IR35 has spoilt things

The question is how much are rates in your industry and skillset that are achieveable today vs in the past
                I was contracting in 2000 I also heard of those £1k/day rates and putting aside the y2k shenanigans I never actually met anyone getting that.

Anyway, I don't think comparing with the past will be helpful.. first up; how far in the past? I ask that, because in the past i.e. circa 2000 I was on approx £560/day (rates were hourly I charged £70/hr) and now I'm on £600/day inside (9-5) which seems to be about right for my skillset, so in real terms a lot less. BUT since 2000 there have been a number of crashes\recessions, the market has changed with supply way more than it used to be, I think as a result of the redundancies and people thinking "I'll give contracting a go" also contracting becoming a bit more normal.

8am-6pm I'm out :-)

Comment

Highest I've seen for my seniority and skillset was a Senior UX designer role for an investment bank in London (100% on-site) paying £900 a day inside ir35.

It appears every now and again on jobserve, which makes me think either the role doesn't exist or they keep advertising because they're struggling to find someone who wants to go back on-site 5 days a week.

Comment

What do you mean by comparable contractor day rate? For 700/day there is no risk premium. Basically the net is almost the same if not less.

Comment

Originally posted by fabios View Post

What do you mean by comparable contractor day rate? For 700/day there is no risk premium. Basically the net is almost the same if not less.
                      I weould have thought it was obvious - it's the current market rate for a contract project manager in finance
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X