• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
    Market for my skillset (BA) is poor, I actually think the BA role has been replaced by data engineers, data analysts and data scientists as companies change their focus. The pure BA (process, requirements) is a much less common than 10 years ago.

My current place (FS, buy side) is very much consolidating teams and hiring fewer BAs, or relying on in house architects or devs for analysis. With the state of the economy, AUM is down and budgets are tight.

If you combine that with the goings on at Goldman (which are already causing a ripple affect across other banks), market in FS looks fairly grim.

One thing you can rely on HSBC will be hiring! Noticed they have bought SVB, so someone is going to be doing some data migration!
    Let's hope SVB UK wasn't built with COBOL or Fortran 77. Eh? In fact, it might be HSBC hanging on to shirt coattails of SVB UK, if indeed they leveraged the modern tech available.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

It will dude. Take it easy for a few weeks. April will be crazy busy.
      That would be perfect :-)

Originally posted by eek View Post

That’s doomed the rest of this year
      Let's hope not :-)

Comment

Having a look around today and finding an alarming number of "Inside", "Hybrid", or both.

None of that thank you, it's like we've learnt nothing. Happy to vote with my feet - for now!
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          Having a look around today and finding an alarming number of "Inside", "Hybrid", or both.

None of that thank you, it's like we've learnt nothing. Happy to vote with my feet - for now!
          If the rate is good enough then why not?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

If the rate is good enough then why not?
            The lack of general control and all the other upsides associated with proper contracting - I've got a business to run, not just an income to secure.

Also clients are meant to do their assessments properly - if they're marking stuff Inside for the sake of ease, they're not assessing properly - who knows what else might not be as it seems when you get there?
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

The lack of general control and all the other upsides associated with proper contracting - I've got a business to run, not just an income to secure.

Also clients are meant to do their assessments properly - if they're marking stuff Inside for the sake of ease, they're not assessing properly - who knows what else might not be as it seems when you get there?
              WTF is actually doing assessments and marking them inside?

Way too much work and still a risk - just follow the bank logic of we want a temporary resource that we pay via an umbrella.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Jobserve currently showing 27,000 jobs on the board. Lowest i have seen this year.

Had been ranging between 35,000 to 50,000 since the start of the year.

Maybe this is the calm before the April surge...
                Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 March 2023, 03:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                  Jobserve currently showing 27,000 jobs on the board. Lowest i have seen this year.

Had been ranging between 35,000 to 50,000 since the start of the year.

Maybe this is the calm before the April surge...
                  Or possibly just lots of jobless FAANG & Twitter staff sucking up all the roles?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Or possibly just lots of jobless FAANG & Twitter staff sucking up all the roles?
                    I doubt they would lower themselves to most roles out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                      I was thinking this most recent drop might be due to the banking issues we have been seeing over the past week, SVB, Credit Sussie etc. Will have scared everyone even outside of banking. Temporary hiring freezes which might get lifted in April if everything turns out fine.
                      Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 March 2023, 09:09.

Comment

Working...
                      X