• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

I think the more likely scenario is that the client is overestimating how much anyone cares about whether they're recruiting or not, and the agency doesn't want people to know who/what they're recruiting for. But as it only ever stays between me and the agency anyway (like I'd want to talk about the world's most boring profession on my evening and weekends) I just don't get it
    Why not? I've just explained two real life situations that I've witnessed and puts the agencies commission at risk. Agencies treat us like crap at times so what do you think they are willing to do to each other

Dunno why you've brought the client in to it though? it's a conversation between you and agent. Did one agent tell you the client won't let them tell you? In which case they are lying and the real reasons are the ones I've already mentioned.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Why not? I've just explained two real life situations that I've witnessed and puts the agencies commission at risk. Agencies treat us like crap at times so what do you think they are willing to do to each other

Dunno why you've brought the client in to it though? it's a conversation between you and agent. Did one agent tell you the client won't let them tell you? In which case they are lying and the real reasons are the ones I've already mentioned.
      It also depends on the industry / skill set you are in. For years many clients would refuse to reveal who they were because of the behaviour of 1 particular agency in the sector and when you witnessed that agency in action you could fully understand the client's view...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Sometimes the agent won't tell you the name of the client at first due to sensitivity of the role and until they'e had a chance to qualify your bona fides at a basic level. I've had this a couple of times where the incumbent didn't know yet that they would be leaving (once for a perm role, once interim.) I had to sign an NDA then the client and details were shared.

It's a bit of cover my ar*e but there can genuinely be a good reason why client details are vague although this should be the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          Sometimes the agent won't tell you the name of the client at first due to sensitivity of the role and until they'e had a chance to qualify your bona fides at a basic level. I've had this a couple of times where the incumbent didn't know yet that they would be leaving (once for a perm role, once interim.) I had to sign an NDA then the client and details were shared.

It's a bit of cover my ar*e but there can genuinely be a good reason why client details are vague although this should be the exception.
          Those cases are very different from your typical we need another skilled body to get this project done in time mode..
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I think there's only been a couple of occasions where an agent has refused to tell me who the client is. I just say that they run the risk of wasting both our time if it's a client I wouldn't want to work with.

Often they'll forward the job spec and forget to remove the metadata and I work it out that way. Or the spec will contain key words that give it away.
            This always makes me smile - my niche is so small I know pretty much all clients and who is doing what - so I can usually tell the agent who the client is.

I do sympathise with agents though (no really) - it must be really galling to have a role snatched from you. There's no honour among thieves.

Comment

i sold out and took a 6 sig fig salary

Comment

Boomed and kept my Outside status - was hoping to have remained a Gold Star Contractor if I could get to April, before the PM left
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Back on the bench. Initial observation is JobServe is not what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
                    i sold out and took a 6 sig fig salary
                    Trying hard to get a six figure salary at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Trying hard to get a six figure salary at the moment.
                      a lot less pressure, and get the feeling of leadership and growing with the CO

tax and NI is eye watering tho

Keeping the LTD up tho, for side gigs

Comment

Working...
                      X