• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Assuming you are referring to a technology skills shortage...

There may be no shortage of mediocre Java/C# developers but there are plenty of firms willing to pay well over £100k for top developers.

Most developers are mediocre.
    I do not see that. There are very few roles that would pay £100K for a developer in very niche areas. Salaries are capped well below that because hiring Managers are making less themselves and because they simply do not want to pay more or have not budgeted for it. They prefer to get mediocre developers than pay more and get brilliant ones.

Comment

Originally posted by achilles View Post

I do not see that. There are very few roles that would pay £100K for a developer in very niche areas. Salaries are capped well below that because hiring Managers are making less themselves and because they simply do not want to pay more or have not budgeted for it. They prefer to get mediocre developers than pay more and get brilliant ones.
      My perspective may be skewed because I work in financial services but a VP level developer can easily make over £100k at most banks.

Comment

There are easily 20 FS firms that will pay 100k+ for a good dev in London alone

top 10 banks and asset managers for sure

Comment

Originally posted by achilles View Post

Typically a team will have a few 'rock stars', the rest will be lower paid mediocre devs.
          The mediocre devs add very little extra value, they are there as insurance should the rock stars leave or demand more money.

The best devs are 5 or 10 times more productive than average devs. But the pay difference is only 50% more at best.
          Last edited by Fraidycat; 18 June 2022, 16:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
            Typically a team will have a few 'rock stars', the rest will be lower paid mediocre devs.
            The mediocre devs add very little extra value, they are there as insurance should the rock stars leave or demand more money.

The best devs are 5 or 10 times more productive than average devs. But the pay difference is only 50% more at best.
            Wish I could believe a word you say... but I don't.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I steer well clear of firms looking for Rock Star or Ninja developers.

I feel embarrassed for myself and the firm posting such tulip.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	latest?cb=20160326022523.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	4222096
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Ah. I see you fell victim to 10xDeveloper hypebole from the last decade.
                  The pay differential might be because the company falling year-on-year on it ar**. It's market share, it's culture and it influence might be heading south to the Dodo.

Have you ever read a book called The Phoenix Project? In particular, the role of the dude called Brett. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078Y98RG8/

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                    Ah. I see you fell victim to 10xDeveloper hypebole from the last decade.
                    I have worked with 10x developers.

I would not personally use the Rock Star metaphor to describe them.

They are more like these guys, coding machines that never get tired.

Name:	terminator_endoskeleton_1020.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	4222196

Comment

I have worked with 10x developers.

I would not personally use the Rock Star metaphor to describe them.

They are more like these guys, coding machines that never get tired.

Name:	terminator_endoskeleton_1020.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	4222196
                      quantity != quality.

Comment

Working...
                      X