• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    Just got a nice direct role at a music streaming company.

100% remote and can work from abroad. Which is good as i have a dual citizenship and am now a tax resident of a country with no income tax.

Very pleased. Angular 10 too which i've long wanted to get commercial experience on.

Nice one!

Comment

With the 91000 civil service job cuts in the making, when do you reckon we can expect to have a surge in contracts in the public sector?

I assume it's not going to be any time soon. So, like, in 12/24 months?

I'm trying to time my comeback into contracting

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
        With the 91000 civil service job cuts in the making, when do you reckon we can expect to have a surge in contracts in the public sector?

I assume it's not going to be any time soon. So, like, in 12/24 months?

I'm trying to time my comeback into contracting
        Doesn't work like that in the Public Sector IMO. Private sector then yes as those roles make money and someone has to do it. Reduction in headcount generally does not mean an increase in contractors in the PS. Even if they wanted to their frameworks make it extremely difficult. I won't be holding my breath.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Public sector client has finally gone Inside (long story but the determination has changed) so I'm weighting up my options. Been there for a couple of years so a change would be nice, and leaving on the principle of keeping all my engagement Outside (rather than having a transition) feels good. That said, is it an act of self-harm to go? By the sounds of things I'd be hopping into another Inside contract anyway, and potentially leaving a nice easy gig to do so.

Thoughts welcomed. Did this happen to you, and what did you do?
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            Public sector client has finally gone Inside (long story but the determination has changed) so I'm weighting up my options. Been there for a couple of years so a change would be nice, and leaving on the principle of keeping all my engagement Outside (rather than having a transition) feels good. That said, is it an act of self-harm to go? By the sounds of things I'd be hopping into another Inside contract anyway, and potentially leaving a nice easy gig to do so.

Run away because you don't want HMRC asking why you haven't been inside all this time...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Run away because you don't want HMRC asking why you haven't been inside all this time...
              ^^ this. 100%

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

You always made yourself out to be some kind of unique supplier of services and not just a one man band contractor, turns out you were a permietractor all along

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

You always made yourself out to be some kind of unique supplier of services and not just a one man band contractor, turns out you were a permietractor all along
                  Not quite - the end client is changing too - but I do appreciate the irony
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    I am earning the same permie salary as I was in 2006 (85k). It's been more and less since then.

The "war for talent" is a load of old bollocks.
                    I totally agree. Employers are allergic to paying salaries above £100K, it is a psychological barrier for them. That proves there is no skills shortage, if there was they would be paying higher salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by achilles View Post

I totally agree. Employers are allergic to paying salaries above £100K, it is a psychological barrier for them. That proves there is no skills shortage, if there was they would be paying higher salaries.
                      Assuming you are referring to a technology skills shortage...

There may be no shortage of mediocre Java/C# developers but there are plenty of firms willing to pay well over £100k for top developers.

Most developers are mediocre.

Comment

Working...
                      X