• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    That chart looks familiar.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      Predictions like this usually come with a chart. Can you do the necessary please?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
        That chart looks familiar.
        It's from the assembly plans for LM's new Stannah stair lift.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Still trying to work out what skills. If you're looking for pure tech skills then you can get offshore bods cheap cheap.

If you're looking for designers, problem solvers, architects etc then it would be good to know what kind of experience is useful.
          It is not done in a buzz word fashion. We work in countering illegal trading but you might have worked as a system architect in the fashion industry which is unrelated but when we dig deeper we might find overlaps in technical or personal skills etc.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            I would guess 70k upwards. Someone experienced would probably be looking at around 6 figures. If you have skills we really need you would be looking for more than that.
            Sounds very average. No surprises.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
              Things will improve. 12 months from now things will be a lot better. And in 24 months it will be the start of another boom.

I have seen this all before (although not the pandemic stuff)

IR35 was introduced in 2000, with deemed payments due in April 2001, just a few months before a nasty bear market put a lot of us out of work for many months and when we did eventually find work it was on much lower rates.
              i pray to Allah your right

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                They will improve. The question is at what pace? We are living through the greatest economic crisis since the 1700's, plus brexit & IR35 as the cherry on top.

I constantly keep getting approached for permanent jobs, its getting infuriating. Another dangerous trend is that some employers are disguising contract work as permanent roles. Its usually blindingly obvious from the job spec/requirements. I've been seeing this more and more recently.
                honestly, why doesn't the Gov bin this IR35 for mercys sake

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                  honestly, why doesn't the Gov bin this IR35 for mercys sake
                  Because that would mean HMRC have been wrong for 20+ years - it isn't going to happen

And there is a valid concern that without IR35 far more people would be dragged into fake self-employment. As I've pointed out for years we are rarely the people involved here we are usually just collateral fallout.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Anyone had any thoughts on the upcoming negative interest rates? I haven't done a huge amount in the financial world but none of the systems I've worked on has handled the scenario.

Or will this kind if work be easily weapped up and sent over to India?

Comment

Originally posted by Gould The Swimmer View Post

Or will this kind if work be easily weapped up and sent over to India?
                      Will be a mix. Most of the work will be shipped to India; the remaining will stay in the uk but will be done by Indian workers coming over for a 25k a year salary.

Comment

Working...
                      X