• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE workshop: Preparing contractors for Autumn : Weds 29th Sep at 7.15pm. More details here.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    enjoy windows again

    Comment


      Originally posted by founder View Post
      enjoy windows again

      Comment


        An update on my side of the market:-

        I moved to a Dutch bank in the summer. The client is impressed with my work and at the quick progress I have made. I had originally wanted to move to Netherlands to experience a new way of life but CV19 is stopping it. The interesting part will be post brexit and if the client also wants me to be on-site. I have already ruled out doing a commute every week. There are parts of the bank that are beginning to make redundancies however I can't see this being in my area.

        I have been extended until March although they did push for June however couldn't get sign off. I am just happy to have a contract after seeing so many contractors on the bench and recruiters getting made redundant.

        Outside my contract:-

        I get an approach nearly every week about going to different banks however none of them can match what I am being paid. Some offering nearly 30-40% below what I am on before throwing in the line of "We can't get candidates with your experience". Most if not all of the approaches have been through LinkedIn. So whilst there seems to be more talent, there seems to be a lack of quality.

        For the Scottish Market, ASI are still hiring but inside IR35 on all contracts.
        Last edited by ContractorHardman; 19 November 2020, 11:49.

        Comment


          Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
          An update on my side of the market:-

          I moved to a Dutch bank in the summer. The client is impressed with my work and at the quick progress I have made. I had originally wanted to move to Netherlands to experience a new way of life but CV19 is stopping it. The interesting part will be post brexit and if the client also wants me to be on-site. I have already ruled out doing a commute every week. There are parts of the bank that are beginning to make redundancies however I can't see this being in my area.

          I have been extended until March although they did push for June however couldn't get sign off. I am just happy to have a contract after seeing so many contractors on the bench and recruiters getting made redundant.

          Outside my contract:-

          I get an approach nearly every week about going to different banks however none of them can match what I am being paid. Some offering nearly 30-40% below what I am on before throwing in the line of "We can't get candidates with your experience". Most if not all of the approaches have been through LinkedIn. So whilst there seems to be more talent, there seems to be a lack of quality.

          For the Scottish Market, ASI are still hiring but inside IR35 on all contracts.
          What's your tech specialism?

          Comment


            I've had about 6 different calls sweet from recruiters on the front end roles, not inteviews yet, i didnt drop my pre covid rates either

            Comment


              Originally posted by founder View Post
              I've had about 6 different calls sweet from recruiters on the front end roles, not inteviews yet, i didnt drop my pre covid rates either
              Could those last 2 clauses be related?

              Comment


                Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                Could those last 2 clauses be related?
                I'm pretty sure the agent would tell you if the rate you want is too high.
                See You Next Tuesday

                Comment


                  The market for my skillset (UX/UI/Product design) seems to be shutting down for the year.

                  I didn't remember the recruitment process for permanent roles to be this bad and long when I was a permie. Now 3 stage interview is the bare minimum; I've got one permie role still on the go: this is 4 stages (phone interview with HR, zoom interview with hiring manager, portfolio review with all the design team, final interview with team lead). I applied in mid-September and just this Monday I had the second interview). Yuck!

                  In the meantime, got approached by an old client on Monday night for a 6 month contract, interviewed on Wednesday (30 minutes over the phone), offer arrived yesterday. Start in 2 weeks. Christmas is safe.

                  Comment


                    And deboomed -potential client that I signed contract for has meeting with their client, who have put all roles on hold.

                    I'd have put off renewing insurances, not have had contract renewed if I'd known. Ah well.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                      And deboomed -potential client that I signed contract for has meeting with their client, who have put all roles on hold.

                      I'd have put off renewing insurances, not have had contract renewed if I'd known. Ah well.
                      Most business insurance will let you cancel and refund you pro rata.
                      See You Next Tuesday

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X