• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am what you would probably call a generalist but haven't had to go Inside IR35 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      I've been negotiating with several agencies over the last few weeks to recruit a fairly large number of permies for a couple of clients. I've been quite shocked at how high the percentage fees are compared to what was the norm about 12-18 months ago. Several said they have so much work on, they have increased their fees. In one case it's almost double what the same agency was charging me at a different client in 2020.

Does this mean we might see a relative downturn for contractors v perms, at least in the next few months?
      Originally posted by mattster View Post

I suppose that depends on whether there is a big increase in perm demand relative to contractor, or whether this big increase is across the board. Hopefully the latter, any idea?
      Anecdotally, from what I hear, it depends LOL. There seems to be healthy contract demand for devs, project managers and a variety of security roles. However, it seems that perm is stronger. As well as increasing fees, agencies are asking for up front payments and that's if they can even be arsed. In the upper end of the market, there are starting to be waiting lists for agencies to take on new mandates. Paying an amount up front moves you nearer the front of the queue.

Comment

been on the bench a week now now, but the phone calls are encouraging, had one interview for a good rate, until they mentioned some technical pairing interview, and they saw my reaction and I didn't ask any more questions, I know where that interview went

Comment

I have had about six approaches for a position at Luxoft.

I rejected out of hand because I have had bad experiences with them before but now because they are a Russian company. I suspect they are going to have big problems hiring staff going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
            I have had about six approaches for a position at Luxoft.

I rejected out of hand because I have had bad experiences with them before but now because they are a Russian company. I suspect they are going to have big problems hiring staff going forward.
            If you Google them it immediately says they are Russian so how is anyone working for them going to get paid?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

If you Google them it immediately says they are Russian so how is anyone working for them going to get paid?
              Luxoft is owned by DXC so I wouldn't say it's Russian...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

The original company was Russian which would have been enough for me to reject them even if I hadn't seen examples of their work before.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Indeed I wouldn't worry about not getting paid, it's a big multinational. Consider it on the merits of what they're offering.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

The original company was Russian which would have been enough for me to reject them even if I hadn't seen examples of their work before.
                    respect for not supporting the war machine

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post

respect for not supporting the war machine
                      Like what's been pointed out, it's not a Russian company and its highly likely they have had to make thousands of Russians redundant therefore, opportunity calls for non-Russians.

Comment

Working...
                      X