• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know what planet PerfectStorm is living on, but 9/10 outside of IR35 is very obviously not happening anywhere.

Inside rates are fairly decent in my field, but I have zero interest in having that as my main income stream. I dunno about everyone else, but I just seem to be far less enthusiastic about the gig if it's Inside and do enough to be deemed a good job but nothing more, whereas if it's Outside I'd go above and beyond if needed and just generally am far more willing to impart my knowledge and skills () on to the project and team.

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
      Don't know what planet PerfectStorm is living on, but 9/10 outside of IR35 is very obviously not happening anywhere.

Inside rates are fairly decent in my field, but I have zero interest in having that as my main income stream. I dunno about everyone else, but I just seem to be far less enthusiastic about the gig if it's Inside and do enough to be deemed a good job but nothing more, whereas if it's Outside I'd go above and beyond if needed and just generally am far more willing to impart my knowledge and skills () on to the project and team.
      I will very much depend on sector - in my world everything is outside because it's the only way to get decent people (demand is way higher than supply).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I will very much depend on sector - in my world everything is outside because it's the only way to get decent people (demand is way higher than supply).
        Interesting insight that supply and demand is determining whether a client is deeming a role is inside or outside. Are clients actively changing the way they engage to ensure the engagement is outside or are they just willing to take a bit more risk in order to get the right person?
        Last edited by Paralytic; 21 March 2022, 14:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Interesting insight that supply and demand is determining whether a client is deeming a role is inside or outside. Are clients are actively changing the way they engage to ensure the engagement is outside or are they just willing to take a bit more risk in order to get the right person?
          Changing the way they engage to ensure a role is outside.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post
            More like 50:50 now.

A lot of "inside contracts for outside money" which I am gleefully saying 'no' to - and I hope my fellow contractors are following suit.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Will be starting to monitor the market more closely as current gig ends at the end of April. May should be a good time to pick up the next one...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Will be starting to monitor the market more closely as current gig ends at the end of April. May should be a good time to pick up the next one...
                I'm praying it happens a bit sooner.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Big push by HMRC at the moment across the public sector to flip the remaining outside contracts to inside. One of my previous consulting contacts have had to flip their contracts and for me they were pretty much the gold standard of outside contracts and working practices. I know some guys their are renegotiating rates just before flipping so will see how they get on.

From what I have seen inside rate increases are only covering about half of the lost revenue.

Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

I have spent an hour perusing job sites and there are a lot of unrealistically low outside rates on offer and noticeably fewer inside gigs as well.

I really think the Ukraine situation has put stalled recruiting for many firms.

Comment

I still have an Outside contract with proper SDS and this is with a global firm in Pharma with £30b+ revenue and 90,000 employees, I'm worried that the pressure will be too much and they'll just revert to Inside for an easy life, because it does seem like HMRC want to finish Outside determination contracts, especially if the doom merchants on here are to be believed.

Comment

Working...
                      X