• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zzap View Post

Did he mention in what market the demand was in, I'd be interested to know?
    Data domain is really hot at the moment. It has been for some time. I get approached by agents at least 2 to 3 times a day with a higher rate than my current one. But I have rejected them all as I am happy, content with my current assignment and day rate.
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 17 August 2021, 10:15.

Comment

Oooft tough times. So on top of 2 interviews that never materialised, i've been unsuccessful at 2 others (i've never failed 2 in a row before)

I need to upskill at 1 or 2 techs to a blag-worthy level - just came off the back of a 3 year contract so i'm a little behind on the latest tech it seems.
      Last edited by Robinho; 17 August 2021, 12:28.

Comment

Clearly something on my CV is sparking some interest this week, but agents aren't telling me who the potential client is. Happy to leave it at that I'm not jumping ship to go and work for a pensions company on a business park in Slough...
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

started my first outside contract at 4/5 th rate in over a year, warchest wasn't looking good

Comment

Crazy week here.
            I'm currently happy with my work/life balance, but have been offered 3 new contracts this week - without going searching for them. If I was to move, the one I am most interested in has an unknown rate, due to HR holidays. It's going to be close to my current rate. The other two, one is about 15% more than current, but might involve a bit of travel. The final one is for an old client and would be about 20% more, but it might only be 3-6 months and would be high stress.
            I've not actually ruled any of them out yet.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'll probably look to move on from my current gig in the new year. We're good to the end of the year and there's likely to be work doing tidy up after the panic to hit all the deadlines at the end of this year but I'm getting itchy feet

Comment

anyone seeing outside remote rates lead back to pre-pandemic levels?

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                  Bar the usual suspects offering ridiculously low rates I haven't noticed much change in the outside rates over the last 18 months personally.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by founder View Post
                    the word around the block is that it is the hottest market since dot com era.
                    https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerque...is_job_market/

there are a few posts on reddit about it but not quite sure if it is only america related or happens the same in britain as well.

so far I have the usual inside roles at usual rates, bossy recruiters offering perm roles at subpar salaries and getting upset when you say you are no longer available once you hear the salary range.

I think that perm salary levels are still at pre-pandemic levels and recruiters and companies are just expecting people to roll over and take on in the chin... whether it will happen or not we have time to see...

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

It might be a false start but jobswerve hit 26k jobs today, the first time it's hit that level since the pandemic started and its only 3k off the average I used to see. It has been buried at 14k since May. It was buried sub 3k for much of the pandemic, a whole year.
                      Above was posted by Bluenose on August 3rd, so 3 weeks ago.

Today JobServe is saying 52,000 Jobs? Doubling in just 3 weeks

Maybe rates will double as well over the next few years like they did during the Dot com bubble period, between 1998 and 2001
                      Last edited by Fraidycat; 26 August 2021, 02:16.

Comment

Working...
                      X