• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

So an unskilled couple both working at amazon warehouse could be clearing almost 5K a month after tax. Thats not far off the take home from £500 a day inside IR35
    So what.

2 people could earn the same as 1 person on £500 per day inside IR35.

It does not mean anything.

That is like saying two people driving HGV's earn the same together as 1 doctor!!!

Or 100 toilet cleaners earn the same a 1 stock broker.

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post

So what.

2 people could earn the same as 1 person on £500 per day inside IR35.

It does not mean anything.
      The point is skilled labour, a hard engineering degree even from a top university, years of industry experience counts for very little. A pair of immigrants who have zero education, who can barely speak english can now earn the same as a contractor on 500 a day caught by IR35.
      And the gap is even narrower for permies.
      Last edited by Fraidycat; 13 May 2021, 17:51.

Comment

The point is skilled labour, a hard engineering degree even from a top university, years of industry experience counts for very little. A pair of immigrants who have zero education, who can barely speak english can now earn the same as a contractor on 500 a day caught by IR35.
        And the gap is even narrower for permies.
        Amazon pay well (but also work you hard)

Other companies pay crap

Some (profitable) companies being decent and others being crap is not new.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The roles that are advertised as really low rates are just place holders for Indian outsourcers to get visa's nothing else.

They have to state the role was originally offered in EU/UK.

What is real is how little a nurses gets paid. For what they do.

Comment

So an unskilled couple both working at amazon warehouse could be clearing almost 5K a month after tax. Thats not far off the take home from £500 a day inside IR35
            Pretty much its insane money for the work!!! People complain online about working conditions there but its not that bad you just have to be a hard worker who does not skive is all!

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
              The roles that are advertised as really low rates are just place holders for Indian outsourcers to get visa's nothing else.

They have to state the role was originally offered in EU/UK.

What is real is how little a nurses gets paid. For what they do.
              I believe the same, they have to advertise the role locally then show that they cannot find resources at that price point. So a lot of poor buggers will be refused by no apparent reason.

Then they have the ability to bring someone on a short leash. Everything has become about control and there is only a certain amount of pressure you can put on local people before they pack bags. For people that have their livelihood linked to the job, the threshold is a lot higher.

same phenomenon in America. plenty of interviews that we see, I think, are just mock-ups to for them to be able to sponsor someone.

Comment

I wonder how Indians (born in India ) become CEO's of big names.
                Nokia - Rajeev Suri
                Sanjay Mehrotra - Micron Technology
                Laxman Narasimhan - Reckitt Benckiser
                Ashok Vemuri - Xerox

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
                  I wonder how Indians (born in India ) become CEO's of big names. Nokia - Rajeev Suri
                  Ashok Vemuri - Xerox

I do not want any of these posts to sound racist, there isn't even a hint of that here.

Those people in the higher ranks most likely worked hard and had also good technical abilities. High population so likelihood of gifted people is higher.

The question is, if the lower ranks are selected based on how well the employer thinks they could be controlled then it is no longer about meritocracy. And it makes you questions the true values of the capitalist society that we live in.

What is left for the rest? Crack, alcohol, amazon warehouses and tesco delivery drivers. It strips you of finding meaning in life and pursuing the career that you have choose.

I am somehow glad that people have voted tories again, I think we have to see great distress and revolts before people start to open their eyes to the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
                    I wonder how Indians (born in India ) become CEO's of big names. Nokia - Rajeev Suri
                    Ashok Vemuri - Xerox

Persistence, education and of course it is America. I was born in India, I was working in a large Insurance Company in America, I became their group CTO for a business that was running on 3 different continents. I was the youngest among veterans there, that was an old story. Twelve years back, I settled in the UK due to various personal reasons and I have to reboot from the beginning, I was a Developer, Architect, Enterprise Architect and I am a DevOps Engineer doing different certifications and doing gigs now, beyond that no one is ready to hire me as CTO even though I have two startups successfully running and even now agencies are considering me as a DevOps or Architect here.
                    Last edited by nemosdad; 17 May 2021, 11:19.

Comment

Originally posted by nemosdad View Post

Persistence, education and of course it is America. I was born in India, I was working in a large Insurance Company in America, I became their group CTO for a business that was running on 3 different continents. I was the youngest among veterans there, that was an old story. Twelve years back, I settled in the UK due to various personal reasons and I have to reboot from the beginning, I was a Developer, Architect, Enterprise Architect and I am a DevOps Engineer doing different certifications and doing gigs now, beyond that no one is ready to hire me as CTO even though I have two startups successfully running and even now agencies are considering me as a DevOps or Architect here.
                      Agencies will look at your last role (and maybe the one before) and only put you forward for those roles.

I'm surprised you moved from being a group CTO for a large insurance company to more on-the-ground work. What was the size of the group of which you were CTO?

Comment

Working...
                      X