• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
    Desktop Support -Worcester

Worcester
    1 month +
    Monday to Friday 9.00 am-5.30 pm
    £13.00 per hour Umbrella

Well, that's very close to the minimum wage after IR35 deductions! Are these people for real?
    why? it's a minimum wage job being advertised as umbrella because the agency doesn't want the hassle of doing payroll.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

Jeez, that's a bit depressing. £35 an hour for 2nd line, that's £480p/d adjusted for inflation!
      Are you for real?
      Average for 2nd line today is £150/day. Even the new trade floor support roles pay £250-300.
      If I got £480/day, I would be buying everyone here drinks every week!

Comment

Worcester
        1 month +
        £13.00 per hour Umbrella

Well, that's very close to the minimum wage after IR35 deductions! Are these people for real?
        I'm surprised they haven't asked for 197 Programming languages, an Olympic Gold medal and experience at NASA for that rate

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

What jobs are these then?

People are deliberately employed in retail, hospitality, care homes, factories, etc so that their normal hours are times most people in offices don't want to work.
          Unskilled relative works in a local widget factory, gets time and half on Saturdays and double time on Sunday.

I think amazon policy is: 40-50 hours is paid at time and a half. Anything above 50 hours is double time.

From the amazon fulfilment website:
          • Day Shift: £9.70 to £10.80 per hour (dependent on location)
          • Night Shift*: £11.21 to £12.76 per hour (dependent on location)
          • Overtime*: £14.55 per hour up to £21.60 per hour (dependent on location)

Comment

Are you for real?
            Average for 2nd line today is £150/day. Even the new trade floor support roles pay £250-300.
            If I got £480/day, I would be buying everyone here drinks every week!
            I think that was the point - daily rates are lower now, compared to the equivalent roles in 1997.

Comment

Other than my usual sarcastic remarks - my take on it:
              • Market is 'liquid' - there are roles there and people are jumping (as opposed to 'sitting tight' which they might have done a year ago)
              • Pandemic has made location more flexible - for time being. For example some people were contacting me from Finland
              • P.Sector has 'some' outside roles, F.Services almost entirely inside
              • 'Manual testing' for UK becoming rarer, and QAs I know are either out of work, or have moved across to BA
              • BAs being expected to have more technical skillsets - Python, R, power BI etc.
              • Traditional 'PM' role being replaced with 'Product Owner' and also more technical/SME skillset
              • Less 'foam' on jobs boards and LI as increasingly companies hire direct
              • Lot more Fixed Term Contract stuff coming up - probably linked to pandemic. Companies happy to hire remote for 6 months / 12 months until dust settles

Comment

Worcester
                1 month +
                £13.00 per hour Umbrella

you can get that working at tesco only for smiling and it involves no skill at all.
                You could even be on crack all day long the customers wouldn't make a difference or potentially even like you better.

The way this world has evolved is a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Unskilled relative works in a local widget factory, gets time and half on Saturdays and double time on Sunday.

I think amazon policy is: 40-50 hours is paid at time and a half. Anything above 50 hours is double time.

From the amazon fulfilment website:
                  • Day Shift: £9.70 to £10.80 per hour (dependent on location)
                  • Night Shift*: £11.21 to £12.76 per hour (dependent on location)
                  • Overtime*: £14.55 per hour up to £21.60 per hour (dependent on location)
                  Amazon warehouse staff get £600 a week minimum for (4 albeit long!) days then 3 days off. If they want to do more shifts they can earn up to £800 a week which is just crazy money nowadays compared to how low so many IT contracts have dropped!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    If they want to do more shifts they can earn up to £800 a week which is just crazy money nowadays compared to how low so many IT contracts have dropped!
                    So an unskilled couple both working at amazon warehouse could be clearing almost 5K a month after tax. Thats not far off the take home from £500 a day inside IR35
                    Last edited by Fraidycat; 13 May 2021, 15:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

So an unskilled couple both working at amazon warehouse could be clearing almost 5K a month after tax. Thats not far off the take home from £500 a day inside IR35
                      And the same, both of them could be on crack and still get on with the job.

Comment

Working...
                      X