• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope things improve soon!!!

This doesn't sound too promising.

I finish my current gig next week and was hoping to find another quite soon.

lets see what happens.

I can't handle the stress of being on the bench for too long. I have an pretty aggressive retirement plan that needs to be fed some serious money over the next 7 (ish) years

Comment

Originally posted by Still Learning the Ropes View Post
      This doesn't sound too promising.

I finish my current gig next week and was hoping to find another quite soon.

lets see what happens.

I can't handle the stress of being on the bench for too long. I have an pretty aggressive retirement plan that needs to be fed some serious money over the next 7 (ish) years
      When did you start looking ?

Comment

In my case, I finished end of January. I actually started looking for contracts 2 weeks before finishing. Some code katas with bad lucks, contracts with not interesting tech stack, I didn't manage any interviews.

About 2nd week of Feb, I have really positive skype interview with client hiring manager and got invited to office to receive 6 months offer. After disclosing my pregnancy, it was bad timings for the client and they can't take me in for that. I just assume that I earn a good contact out of that interview.

March is a bit better. I found 3 months one last week and starting next week. So it wasn't too bad, after all. I did have to stop for about 5/6 weeks, which actually I needed that break. can't complain about it.

Comment

I actually finish next week. Started looking last week and to be honest, there is a fair bit out there.

Have a few promising leads that I am following up on.

The only problem is they are in the public sector and I'm being forced down the IR35 route.

So the rates are pretty dire if you take that into consideration.

Comment

I finish end of next week.

Started looking last week, and have a few leads that I am following and also reaching out to old contacts.

Hopefully will have something lined up soon.

The real issue is this IR35, i'm finding the rates are not reflective of the extra Tax you have to pay via the Umbrella.

Comment

It seems to have lit up quite a bit in the last week or so. Jobserve is much busier and I'm getting a lot more calls.

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
                It seems to have lit up quite a bit in the last week or so. Jobserve is much busier and I'm getting a lot more calls.
                How much of the stuff on Jobserve is utter BS ?
                this role I'm in now was posted on the Wednesday, i spoke to the agent on the Thursday, Interviewed on the Friday and started the following week.

even after i had started i received JS alerts from 2 other agencies advertising the role.
                Ive seen it advertised as both a perm and contract, as a Head of IT and IT manager.

How many of the adverts are agencies just rehashing other agencies posts ?

Comment

Had an interview today followed by an offer. Had another interview later on and waiting for the outcome.

Been out for two weeks and to be honest not busted much of a gut to get back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Cid View Post
                    How much of the stuff on Jobserve is utter BS ?
                    this role I'm in now was posted on the Wednesday, i spoke to the agent on the Thursday, Interviewed on the Friday and started the following week.

even after i had started i received JS alerts from 2 other agencies advertising the role.
                    Ive seen it advertised as both a perm and contract, as a Head of IT and IT manager.

How many of the adverts are agencies just rehashing other agencies posts ?
                    heh I think I saw that too - If you think like an agent, it costs nothing to put a similar or better-spec ad up, on the off-chance the role comes back live because the new contractor (you) doesn't show up or quits within the first few days in favour of your backup offer or newly bid-up better offer.

So now they got all the CVs of people who applied for and didn't get the role, ie, hopefully including the 2 or 3 others who did get an interview but didn't get the gig (and are now pissed off with their agency for not telling them they didn't get it, for precisely the same reason - the agent wanted to keep them available as backup in case you quit in the first week or didn't show up or got a better offer between the time of contractor-verbal- acceptance and the time of feet-under-the-desk- legally-binding-performance of the contract required for getting paid, which can be a couple of days to a couple of weeks).

Now assume client is pissed off with their agent who supplied someone only for them to piss off or not turn up, and you have an easier pitch: "Hi, I'm representing that guy you had down as second choice and he's still available, I'll even take 20% off since he's second choice,....."

or maybe I am giving agents too much credit there, yes on second thoughts, scrap all that

Comment

Say what you may about 'Jobserve' but I find it does bring together vacancies from across the board, listed by a multitude of agencies.

So you don't have to look at several different sites to get a feel of what is being listed on any particular day.

Comment

Working...
                      X