• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    There is still quite a gap between what is being offered and what I can earn even inside IR35. That may change for others who have to Monday-Friday away and getting expenses paid by a consultancy is a better option. It looks like some of the big IT Consultancies are expanding to fill in the void.
    I can see perm consultant roles becoming a happy medium for many contractors where the work is varied and project-based without the hassle and worry of bench time.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      I can see perm consultant roles becoming a happy medium for many contractors where the work is varied and project-based without the hassle and worry of bench time.
      That may be an option by oh! The politics! The limited holidays! The evaluations! Etc etc etc...

Comment

Actually you do have bench time worries.

If you aren't making money for the company particularly if you are in a senior role then they give you X weeks then make you redundant.

This is why loads of smaller consultancies prefer using contractors. Larger ones just expect you to work all over the country and give you tulip if you can't.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Actually you do have bench time worries.

If you aren't making money for the company particularly if you are in a senior role then they give you X weeks then make you redundant.

This is why loads of smaller consultancies prefer using contractors. Larger ones just expect you to work all over the country and give you tulip if you can't.
          Yep WSS ..... when the times are hard and consultancies are not able to sell their projects and services they will be the first to let go of staff.... bench time is a big issue there ..

Comment

Finally getting off the bench

Hey guys

Finally getting off the bench with a 3 months contract - better rate (compare with my previous) - and significant up skilling on the job!

This is my second freelance contract and they say securing the second contract is the hardest.... they aren't wrong as I've been searching since mid Oct!!!

Funny thing in the last 3 days I've been to 3 interviews with one offer (the I took) and another company happy to match the rate and terms to secure me ! (I went with the first one for the opportunity to up skill plus bigger company name)

Anyways I'm very happy and massively relived so wanted to share this! Good luck to everyone searching stay strong its all about timing it seems!

Comment

Originally posted by Lilibet View Post
              Hey guys

Finally getting off the bench with a 3 months contract - better rate (compare with my previous) - and significant up skilling on the job!

This is my second freelance contract and they say securing the second contract is the hardest.... they aren't wrong as I've been searching since mid Oct!!!

Funny thing in the last 3 days I've been to 3 interviews with one offer (the I took) and another company happy to match the rate and terms to secure me ! (I went with the first one for the opportunity to up skill plus bigger company name)

Anyways I'm very happy and massively relived so wanted to share this! Good luck to everyone searching stay strong its all about timing it seems!
              Congratulations! Don't forget your boom thread in general!
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Yes and chance of being sent anywhere in the country on assignment without choice and doing long hours. Not quite a happy medium and the main reason why I would not take a perm consultant role.

Comment

In my area (Full stack IT contractor) I do see a fair few contract opportunities, especially around the London area. A bit of trek for me, but it's always an option if I do not secure anything local or within 45 minutes travel radius.
                  I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Possibly but, I see these accommodations as the worst of every world.

Perm salary, being dictated to as to which clients to work for, still having to interview/present to said client for approval, zero control over your life. Am sure there is nothing new or being thought there.

But, that being the case, if all contractors did exactly that, the net increase in tax that HMRC would earn with this IR35 'thrust', might be zero.

Contractor on £150k pays £30k tax per year after all considerations are considered.
                    Permanent on £75k pays roughly the same.

Brilliant.

(probably nothing new being said here either!)

Comment

State of the market?

Sad to say, for me, it's dire at the minute...
                      Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
                      X