• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    You can't lie in FS right?

For me, I would just say it's a contract role or imply it by the way it's written on cv and in interview.
    The few times i went for a perm job, being a contractor in my previous role was sometimes an issue/red flag for them.

But never the other way around, going for a contract no one has ever cared if my last role was a perm role. Why would they, even in FS??

Ok, maybe they are being curious, but i cant see how it could count majorly against you.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 16 February 2021, 09:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
      The few times i went for a perm job, being a contractor in my previous role was sometimes an issue/red flag for them.

But never the other way around, going for a contract no one has ever cared if my last role was a perm role. Why would they, even in FS??

Ok, maybe they are being curious, but i cant see how it could count majorly against you.
      How many times have you been straight out of a perm job in to contracting? Can't have been many and can't have many perm years behind you.

Often the recruiter doesn't really know the difference and it is down to the candidates they've got but if were a level playing field skill wise I'd take a contractor over a perm all day long. The skills might be the same but a seasoned contractor will have much more experience in different environments, get up to speed better, act like a contractor and bring other experience. The number of times I've worked with a perm in a new contract and all I hear is we didn't do it like this we did it like this. They only know what they've left and have to relearn the systems and process where a contractor is more adept at fitting in and potentially bringing a raft of different ways of doing something. They can add value where the perm only knows what they left and if it's not the same then they are on a learning curve.
      When companies look for services they ask companies to demostrate what they've done at other clients and that counts as a bonus above a one trick pony so why is the same not true for a contractor.

There is the fact the perm might also not be able to adapt. We've seen plenty of a lot of threads of people leaving their first gigs due to the journey or the work environment, particlualry if it's working away from home and I've seen it enough in real life as well. Contractors will be less inclined to make the same mistakes and will be more prepared to see it through as well.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The red flag is due to the perception that, as soon as you can, you'll up sticks and leave. There's also a concern that an ex-contractor is less likely to drink the corporate cool-aid and potentially not fit in (although a key skill of a contractor is an ability to fit in, but hey ho).

If going for a perm role, think about how you're presenting yourself and the reasons you're giving them for why you want to make the switch. In all honesty, you're going for perm because the contract market has tanked but you don't tell the recruiter that. Research the corporate values and use those to guide what you need to say to convince them you're not going to leg it.

Comment

Things will improve. 12 months from now things will be a lot better. And in 24 months it will be the start of another boom.

I have seen this all before (although not the pandemic stuff)

IR35 was introduced in 2000, with deemed payments due in April 2001, just a few months before a nasty bear market put a lot of us out of work for many months and when we did eventually find work it was on much lower rates.

Please can we all borrow your amazing Palantir, mate, in to order to check progress in to our futures?

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
            Please can we all borrow your amazing Palantir, mate, in to order to check progress in to our futures?
            More like one of these for Fraidy.

Last edited by northernladuk; 16 February 2021, 12:06.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
              Ok, so they engineered a problem, by creating a difficult entry. But that is a different topic and company's choice.
              That's fine. You still should be aware salary range. Best/worst case. Base - 70k - 100k - 150k - 200k?
              I would guess 70k upwards. Someone experienced would probably be looking at around 6 figures. If you have skills we really need you would be looking for more than that.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                I would guess 70k upwards. Someone experienced would probably be looking at around 6 figures. If you have skills we really need you would be looking for more than that.
                Still trying to work out what skills. If you're looking for pure tech skills then you can get offshore bods cheap cheap.

If you're looking for designers, problem solvers, architects etc then it would be good to know what kind of experience is useful.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Still trying to work out what skills. If you're looking for pure tech skills then you can get offshore bods cheap cheap.

If you're looking for designers, problem solvers, architects etc then it would be good to know what kind of experience is useful.
                  So ask him direct - a lot of firms won't want their requirements published online.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Things will improve. 12 months from now things will be a lot better. And in 24 months it will be the start of another boom.

I have seen this all before (although not the pandemic stuff)

IR35 was introduced in 2000, with deemed payments due in April 2001, just a few months before a nasty bear market put a lot of us out of work for many months and when we did eventually find work it was on much lower rates.
                    Predictions like this usually come with a chart. Can you do the necessary please?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                      Predictions like this usually come with a chart. Can you do the necessary please?

Comment

Working...
                      X