• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
    We shall have to wait and see. It is my opinion that supply is not far greater because permatractors have already taken up permanent roles. Therefore supply and demand are likely to have achieved its equilibrium.
    I'm speaking to a lot of agencies (at a different level as I'm flogging them a service) - they aren't seeing things that way.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
      Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      Originally posted by Lance View Post
      I am somehow in a different mindset, from the sound of it there might have been other not so pleasant things with the role.
      For now I am enjoying the free time, have some things in the background that I am dealing with... I am worries that I won't feel motivated and quickly starting to hate the role and the client.

On another note, here is a message from a agent yesterday:

****** are recruiting for 3x Python Developers to help develop a banking application for a client of ours.

It's a fully remote role using Python & Django and will be outside IR35.

The client are also able to provide sponsorship.

Outside and sponsorship from client?

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
        I am somehow in a different mindset, from the sound of it there might have been other not so pleasant things with the role.
        For now I am enjoying the free time, have some things in the background that I am dealing with... if he comes back with higher rate then maybe but if you go into a contract that you are not happy with you might not perform at your best.

On another note, here is a message from a agent yesterday:

Outside and sponsorship from client?
        Rule 1 when dealing with agents don't expect them to know what they are talking about.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Had a 3-4 genuine enquires from pimps last couple months, but its largely been completely dead. Still being touted salaries that are 25-30% lower than pre-covid. With a No-Deal Brexit and IR35 looming, I can't see how things will get any better next year. I've heard a lot of noise from friends and ex-colleagues of more and more people suffering pay cuts, and obviously no bonuses this year either.

In the meantime I started a permie job back in October which is truly soul destroying (being forced to work 6-7 days per week ). And to think if I hadn't taken it I'd be 7 months unemployed by now and still unemployed well into 2021.

The rat race was already bad and getting worse in the UK, but after Brexit the rat race is going to gain a whole new definition.

Comment

An update on my situation.

Contract coming to an end in the next couple of months. Long term plan had always been to semi-retire and manage my side business instead, but the wife has that well in hand. And recently I've felt I don't want to stop working in IT because I still really enjoy it (and I'm good at it so why not!).

Contract market is dead for my expertise, so I've been looking at permie jobs for the past month. I had applied for a few select roles and didn't get much bite so that was depressing. Well, only 1 interview frankly. Surprisingly - and honestly I didn't expect this - I have 2 permie offers now. Both offers are financially better than I thought, given that they aren't paying for my (dead) tech expertise but more for my experience in this field.

One of the offers is with my current client, and yes I am being careful due to IR35. It is my preferred option due to being a senior role, better £, WFH and that they know me and have opportunity to progress more than the other role. With regards to IR35, I won't be employed by same legal entity as for my contract, because client is spinning off a new legal entity to create its own IT company and it will be a different role for me anyway. I'm hoping to use salary sacrifice to offset the huge tax hit due to side business income.

Anyway nothing signed yet but not as bad as I was feeling a month ago. Just keep plugging away... half of opportunities come from putting 100% of the effort in to find them.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Rule 1 when dealing with agents don't expect them to know what they are talking about.
              In what was the "I just need 2 references thread" there was a post by a recruitment agent about what recruitment agents were like behind the scenes (working 360 etc). I can't seem to track it down if anyone could help.

That post alone should be stickied.

Comment

A recruiter called me and I told him I only do contract.

Then he told me 90% of his clients are doing blanket ban with IR35. And asked me whether I would consider perm now or in the future...

I said I won't change my mind.

Then he asked me what I'll do if I can't find contract, as I told him the market was tough at the moment....

I said I'd maybe look for contract abroad if nothing is here...... for which he reckon a sizable amount of candidates he called told him the same and wished me good luck....

So far I only get the JRS which is ridiculous though.....

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                  In what was the "I just need 2 references thread" there was a post by a recruitment agent about what recruitment agents were like behind the scenes (working 360 etc). I can't seem to track it down if anyone could help.

That post alone should be stickied.
                  The post or the thread?

The thread is here:
                  https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...eferences.html

At 120+ pages long, I'm not going wade through it all

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post
                    A recruiter called me and I told him I only do contract.

Then he told me 90% of his clients are doing blanket ban with IR35. And asked me whether I would consider perm now or in the future...

I said I won't change my mind.

Then he asked me what I'll do if I can't find contract, as I told him the market was tough at the moment....

I said I'd maybe look for contract abroad if nothing is here...... for which he reckon a sizable amount of candidates he called told him the same and wished me good luck....

So far I only get the JRS which is ridiculous though.....
                    I'm more of a never say never type. If the package is worth it, then I'd consider perm and very nearly did at the beginning of this year but then got a good contract offer. I'll see how next year goes but I'm currently good to the end of March (having just had a 3 month extension).

Comment

"2X NEW CONTRACT ROLES - DO YOU KNOW ANYONE IN YOUR NETWORK?

Junior Software Developer, 3 month contract with remote working paying up to £120 per day INSIDE IR35 (through umbrella)

I am currently recruiting for recent grads or junior developers that have experience with either PHP or CFML. "

Comment

Working...
                      X