• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for playing. See you back in January.
    Decembers are usually

In the meantime, keep your friends closer, keep your moolah even closer!

Comment

Mixed emotions this week as I go back on the hunt for a new contract.

Existing deal ends next Friday - murmurings of an extension and potentially a permanent offer with existing client (yes, I know), which frustratingly has delayed my usual process for finding a new contract. Now the trail seems to have gone cold at existing client re.: any extension/perm offer, and considering maybe it is time to move on.

Couple of interviews lined up for next week, which is promising - one perm, one inside role, and hoping for a third. Definitely some vacancies around in my area (BA), but few companies seem to be in a particular hurry, and I've seen some roles stick around for months suggesting either client is being very picky or it's not a "real" need.

Being told "market has picked up"; "market is dead" and everything in between, so I guess it depends who you talk to!

Good look to everyone on the bench - I'm downing tools applying for new roles now until the New Year, and will see what comes over the next couple of weeks.

Comment

had a call 3 days ago, Python Dev with some seniority, Outside, 3 months at about £400.
        I said why not... nothing to do atm.
        Yesterday recruiter called back that client "loved my profile" (bs) but they have decreased the rate to £350.
        I said that I will have to crunch the numbers and get back to him.

only call this month...

am still crunching the numbers...

Comment

Had couple of calls last week. But the one I had day before yesterday was super fast, interviewed same day, offered same day. Rate is not bad at all £550+. Initial 3 months. Accepted.

I have never seen such a busy December in my decade plus experience.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
            Had couple of calls last week. But the one I had day before yesterday was super fast, interviewed same day, offered same day. Rate is not bad at all £550+. Initial 3 months. Accepted.

Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
              had a call 3 days ago, Python Dev with some seniority, Outside, 3 months at about £400.
              Yesterday recruiter called back that client "loved my profile" (bs) but they have decreased the rate to £350.

only call this month...

I'd probably just take it and keep applying and jump ship when you can find something 450+. 1 call in a month should tell you all you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                I'd probably just take it and keep applying and jump ship when you can find something 450+. 1 call in a month should tell you all you need to know.
                Exactly what I was going to say. Not the time to be picky and the future looks bleak for all of us.

Comment

only call this month...

I that's the only offer you have, I personally would take the £350 pd. Outside contract that takes you over the xmas period, I would take it.
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

only call this month...

Ring them back and tell them that while crunching numbers you got an offer for £400. You prefer the first role but not willing to do it for £50 less.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

Man, do you get universal credit in such low rate ? Outside I take it

Banana

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X