• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I have niche skills The rate is purely due to COVID - even the lead up to IR35 didn't dent rates, if anything they improved. So I'm pretty confident of a return to a real normal eventually.
    My skills are so niche there's no work at all actually, I lie, there seems to be loads of work for me in Holland, where you need to know Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
      My skills are so niche there's no work at all actually, I lie, there seems to be loads of work for me in Holland, where you need to know Dutch
      The worst bit for me is that mine should be in huge demand right now, but nobody wants to spend any money

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        Seems to have improved slightly but rates are down, somewhat.

qh
        Until people stop appearing on linkedin standing in public places holding QR code signs, begging for a interview, i assume 'improved slightly' means they are still standing there but perhaps given a free coffee and sandwich ?

Comment

Just booked 2 more micro consulting gigs per hour with my contacts. At least outside ir35

Normal Contracts just look like pile of bulltulips now

Comment

I'm going to be out of contract come the end of November.

Do we foresee any upturn in the near future?

I've just had a message in my inbox form Robert Half Associates inviting me to partake in a "working interview" so things must be bad.

I always used to turn them down in the past, even when desperate.

Normal format is face to face with agent then you go and do a day's work for one of their clients at an agreed day rate. Then you never hear from them again.

Easy way to earn £500 I guess & I suppose all that is a lot less complicated given that it all presumably happens online.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
              ....inviting me to partake in a "working interview" ....
              Never heard of this before... Are these common?

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                One week rolling interviews used to be common thing 15 years ago, did a few myself, always got kept on

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  One week rolling interviews used to be common thing 15 years ago, did a few myself, always got kept on
                  Is there a type of sector client who does these?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                    Until people stop appearing on linkedin standing in public places holding QR code signs, begging for a interview, i assume 'improved slightly' means they are still standing there but perhaps given a free coffee and sandwich ?
                    Works sometimes though.

A young woman did the same outside Stockport train station whilst looking for a data analyst role. It's been featured widely in the media, but I can't find the link which said she got 14 interviews as well as 1 million views on LinkedIn. Here's an earlier article with the gist of it though Woman was turned down from 96 jobs after being made redundant... she came up with a great way to get noticed - Manchester Evening News

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                      Only seen them doing the rounds when times are tough.

I got invited to do a couple back in 2009 where you go and do a day's work at the client and if they like you they keep you on. It all seemed like too much hassle - particularly having to meet the agent face to face beforehand.

But, as I said, presumably there'd be no face to face interaction at the moment so it wouldn't be such a hassle.

Well, that was the way it worked with this particular agency, Robert Half Associates.

Crikey, can't believe my attitude to interviews these days - even before Coronavirus hit. There was a time when I'd gladly travel the length and breadth of the country in pursuit of an opportunity. Not any more - don't even want to leave the house.

Comment

Working...
                      X