• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Meaning the 1st choice told them to do one

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Perhaps! However on this occasion, I doubt that as its a Tier 1 asset manager paying a very high day rate (anyone would be stupid to reject it). Interviewing for 2 separate roles with this firm; their HR/Recruitment teams are a total mess.

Got through to another final round today, so things are looking up. Not counting my chickens though, these companies are taking a bloody eternity.

Comment

I'd rather have someone reject me and then go back on their decision than someone who never replies just because they want to keep me warm. At least they're straight shooters.
      Last edited by PCTNN; 15 September 2020, 13:20.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        Venturi have wasted a lot of my time and I've never got anything out of them.
        Worked with them twice in the past, but just like all the others now.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Friday was interesting. Two job offers and a contract offer on the same day. Took the better permie job.
          Congratulations!

Hopefully the warchest hasn't been impacted too much, unlike mine....

Comment

Something that I found interesting from my recent time on the bench was how many large organisation now fail to respond to candidates. I'm pretty used to this from agents, but it was disappointing to see this behaviour seep into internal HR departments.

My policy is not "fire-and-forget" when it comes to applying for roles. The commoditisation of recruitment has turned this into a numbers game... as can be seen by how many "recruitment professionals" are now out on their arse and hawking themselves across LinkedIn.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
              Something that I found interesting from my recent time on the bench was how many large organisation now fail to respond to candidates. I'm pretty used to this from agents, but it was disappointing to see this behaviour seep into internal HR departments.

My policy is not "fire-and-forget" when it comes to applying for roles. The commoditisation of recruitment has turned this into a numbers game... as can be seen by how many "recruitment professionals" are now out on their arse and reaching out to each other across LinkedIn.
              FTFY

Comment

Approached by three agents on Monday, two inside IR35 and one perm. Got a 'no more contractors' today from a previous client. So, armed with this information and my Jobserve searches which reveal an ever expanding catalogue of Inside/PAYE/Umbrella, I've concluded that it's time to move on from contracting and in actual fact the UK as well. I've enough cash to last to the end of the year by which time the house should have sold and we're off to live in our place in the sun. I won't be paying off the bounce back loan or the other taxes that my company owes. I had a perfectly viable business 6 months ago but the government has finally destroyed it. That's around £ 70k of tax a year the government won't be receiving. A further £ 80-90k of income that we spend in this country will also be heading abroad. I'll probably do a bit of freelancing over there to pay for the golf club membership and a convertible. I'd be tempted to thank Rishi and Boris but it is kind of sad seeing the home you've lived in for 20 years and the business you've invested 20 years of your life in about to be dismantled in front of your eyes and through no fault of your own. But that's the way it is I guess. I can't continue funding two homes without contractor-level income. Great Britain eh?

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                  Approached by three agents on Monday, two inside IR35 and one perm. Got a 'no more contractors' today from a previous client. So, armed with this information and my Jobserve searches which reveal an ever expanding catalogue of Inside/PAYE/Umbrella, I've concluded that it's time to move on from contracting and in actual fact the UK as well. I've enough cash to last to the end of the year by which time the house should have sold and we're off to live in our place in the sun. I won't be paying off the bounce back loan or the other taxes that my company owes. I had a perfectly viable business 6 months ago but the government has finally destroyed it. That's around £ 70k of tax a year the government won't be receiving. A further £ 80-90k of income that we spend in this country will also be heading abroad. I'll probably do a bit of freelancing over there to pay for the golf club membership and a convertible. I'd be tempted to thank Rishi and Boris but it is kind of sad seeing the home you've lived in for 20 years and the business you've invested 20 years of your life in about to be dismantled in front of your eyes and through no fault of your own. But that's the way it is I guess. I can't continue funding two homes without contractor-level income. Great Britain eh?
                  Wow! So you've been contracting for 20 years, raking in 80k-90k income but your warchest only has enough cash to last just over 3 months!? Way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

My policy is not "fire-and-forget" when it comes to applying for roles. The commoditisation of recruitment has turned this into a numbers game... as can be seen by how many "recruitment professionals" are now out on their arse and hawking themselves across LinkedIn.
                    Just to test the waters I applied to a few roles in permie land, and few days later got the standard rejection emails, the generic sorry we cannot proceed at this moment but we will keep your details on file etc etc.

Organisations who have a ATS system set up to auto notify applicants do send out the generic emails but you can never figure out what caused the rejection if you were not short listed.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
                      Wow! So you've been contracting for 20 years, raking in 80k-90k income but your warchest only has enough cash to last just over 3 months!? Way to go.
                      Not even that - he's taken £50k as a bounce bank loan and is living on that now.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X