• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
    Honestly don't think 50k is that bad in the current market. We're in a situation where supply exceeds demand.
    50K is was what permie rates fell to in 2002 in London.

Before that you could get 70K as a perm in 2000.

Inflation adjusted 50K today in 2020, is the same as earning 28K in 2000

Back in 2000 contract rates were £70 to £80 per hour for Java Devs like myself, i was forced to go down to a low of 35/40 per hour in 2002 to find work.

Although some lucky contractors who remained in work only got 20% rate cuts.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 15 September 2020, 08:34.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      Venturi have wasted a lot of my time and I've never got anything out of them.
      What is the point of that agency? They shamelessly post the same jobs over and over again. I must have received individual calls from every single one of the agents and talked to each for 40 minutes only to be completely ghosted afterwards.

The worst is that I ended up following them on Linked In during the lockdown and was treated with endless posts of them doing some kind of virtual 5k tulip instead of getting off their butts and finding me a job.

Useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
        50K is was what permie rates fell to in 2020.
        FTFY

Comment

Current client (bank) is "restructuring" meaning simply they're going to cut 30% of staff (both permie and contractors) but the volume of work stays the same.

Zero contracts around, SOME permie roles. Will be tough to go from 500 a day (inside ir35) to 45-50k a year salary but if that's what needs to be done then that's what's going to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
            Current client (bank) is "restructuring" meaning simply they're going to cut 30% of staff (both permie and contractors) but the volume of work stays the same.

Zero contracts around, SOME permie roles. Will be tough to go from 500 a day (inside ir35) to 45-50k a year salary but if that's what needs to be done then that's what's going to be done.
            I think survival for the next 12 - 24 months is what it is all about. The main thing is to have some income coming in, to ensure living costs are covered and debt is not building up. If you can achieve that, then you are doing okay.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              I think survival for the next 12 - 24 months is what it is all about. The main thing is to have some income coming in, to ensure living costs are covered and debt is not building up. If you can achieve that, then you are doing okay.
              This is bang on. I've got a good view of what minimum family expenditure is and can pause big purchases. If you can break even in hard times, then that's something to celebrate, not beat yourself up over. And if it's indoor work with no heavy lifting - all the better.

Comment

There is always work out there.

Domino's Pizza to create 5,000 new jobs across the UK | Domino's Pizza | The Guardian
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

1 of the gigs that sent me a rejection email yesterday, called back this morning saying that they accidentally rejected me. Turns out I got through to the final round. First time for everything...crazy times.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                    1 of the gigs that sent me a rejection email yesterday, called back this morning saying that they accidentally rejected me. Turns out I got through to the final round. First time for everything...crazy times.
                    Meaning the 1st choice told them to do one

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Meaning the 1st choice told them to do one

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                      That doesn't matter - sira is still in the game with a chance.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X