• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's absolutely jack tulip contract wise in my industry at the moment. Applied for around ten perm jobs for which I thought I was a good match. Dead silence

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
      There's absolutely jack tulip contract wise in my industry at the moment. Applied for around ten perm jobs for which I thought I was a good match. Dead silence
      It's August / holiday season. Be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
        It's August / holiday season. Be patient.
        Cause everyone is going on holidays aren't they......
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          As newly minted permie, they aren't allowing you to carry over holidays this year at my place so its use it or lose it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Even if not actually going anywhere, lots of people (thems still with jobs and actively working) are taking time off. ClientCo is a bit of a ghost town at the moment.

Comment

I was talking to an agent this morning who was doing a bit of headhunting because he's fed up of advertising jobs and getting 95% of applicants being irrelevant because some twonk has clearly told people out of work to apply for everything. There are fewer jobs on the boards because they are now sifting their database and LinkedIn for candidates - they'll still fire 100 messages out but at least, as they said, it's to 100 people who appear capable of getting an interview. They generally get about 5-8 replies and that gets whittled down to 3 to interview. The "new normal" (ugh!) for recruiting appears to be doing a reverse search then going to the boards when the initial messages don't get enough people.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

That might be the case for that agent, still seeing quite a bit on the boards atm.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  I was talking to an agent this morning who was doing a bit of headhunting because he's fed up of advertising jobs and getting 95% of applicants being irrelevant because some twonk has clearly told people out of work to apply for everything. There are fewer jobs on the boards because they are now sifting their database and LinkedIn for candidates - they'll still fire 100 messages out but at least, as they said, it's to 100 people who appear capable of getting an interview. They generally get about 5-8 replies and that gets whittled down to 3 to interview. The "new normal" (ugh!) for recruiting appears to be doing a reverse search then going to the boards when the initial messages don't get enough people.
                  I'm a big fan of applying to everything. I don't care if it wastes their time. I want to assess whether or not the job is a good fit for me after my cvs been screened not before. I use to only apply to perfect fits and I'd send 10ish applications to roles I am close to or 100% match to and I'd get nothing back.

Now I send out 100-200 applications, get a ton of calls and figure it out from there. My last 2 contracts were for roles where the job posting was nothing close to what they actually needed. I probably specifically got them because I wasn't a good fit for the job ad.. and the job ad wasn't a good fit for the actual work that needed to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    I'm a big fan of applying to everything. I don't care if it wastes their time. I want to assess whether or not the job is a good fit for me after my cvs been screened not before. I use to only apply to perfect fits and I'd send 10ish applications to roles I am close to or 100% match to and I'd get nothing back.

Now I send out 100-200 applications, get a ton of calls and figure it out from there. My last 2 contracts were for roles where the job posting was nothing close to what they actually needed. I probably specifically got them because I wasn't a good fit for the job ad.. and the job ad wasn't a good fit for the actual work that needed to be done.
                    I've experienced clients in the past who put out requirements for lots of skills - some not needed or minor for the work needing doing. Used as a test to separate the blaggers from the honest. Plenty would rather someone good at the core skills required, who has some knowledge if not experience of using other skills and can adapt.

Those claiming to be experts in 20 distinct skills tend to be viewed as bs artists.

Send CV in, gets seen by pimp, well may not be a good fit ut pimp now knows your skillset, could help long term.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                      Send CV in, gets seen by pimp, well may not be a good fit ut pimp now knows your skillset, could help long term.
                      On the flip side, sending in CV/apply for every role even if your skills don't match, pimp gets fed up with time wasters, pimp sets up an auto-filter/block for your email/phone, pimp never sees your application for the role you are a good fit for.
                      Last edited by Paralytic; 19 August 2020, 07:53.

Comment

Working...
                      X