• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The part of Devops that concerns me is the "ops" part. As far as I can tell, it's an excuse for developers to do operations as well. Supposedly, the developers themselves are supposed to be responsible for fixing any problems no matter what time.

My last client was big on devops and applied subtle pressure for everyone to work 24/7, to be ready at any time to respond to a text message and start working. There was never any direct policies laid on by the client, only a subtle pressure that you should do what's neccessary to make yourself indispensible. That was all that was needed for insecure contractors to take it on themselves to work all kind of crazy hours and weekends. It didn't help though, because every contract is ending in Feb because of IR35. No consideration given for all that extra time.

Remember the good old days when the development team had testers who just did testing? And there was an entire operations department who deployed code and stayed up all night to make sure it was running?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I used to feel like this until I learned CI pipelines. Now I'm a devops convert. There is a certain point of diminishing returns for smaller projects, but if you have a boilerplate CI pipeline for your tech stack you can do wonderful things very quickly.
      I so wish I knew what you are talking about

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
        Feels very emperors new clothes with devops/cloud. The whole point of devops to my mind was enabling teams to get their code into production without a bunch of barriers. How rebadging a bunch of sysops and calling them the devops team achieves this God only knows. Anyone in a team should be able to get their code into prod or an app deployed without hand holding or chucking it over to someone else.

Also the amount of cash disappearing over the Atlantic to Microsoft and Amazon for cloud is truly breathtaking, companies quickly loose track over their spend on these opaque subscription services. There will be a lot brought in house to private clouds in the future.
        We were talking about this the other day - it's going to be scary when someone creates a RBAR processing routine that smashes a server and takes £3,000 to complete instead of £3!!!

Potentially some will take parts of their estate back on-prem.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          I used to feel like this until I learned CI pipelines. Now I'm a devops convert. There is a certain point of diminishing returns for smaller projects, but if you have a boilerplate CI pipeline for your tech stack you can do wonderful things very quickly.

Imagine getting a requirement at 9am and having it unit tested and running in a docker container before going for sandwiches. Lots of pain and pitfalls but when it works, it's stunning.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Thats how it should work, I always go for CI as a service type solutions like Gitlab or CircleCI and you can have a pipeline up and running in no time. My point was more about having specific devops roles or even worse devops teams. There is a certain amount of skill around architecting and hardening cloud solutions but once in place the dev teams should have a route to live they can use themselves.

Comment

Feels very emperors new clothes with devops/cloud. The whole point of devops to my mind was enabling teams to get their code into production without a bunch of barriers. How rebadging a bunch of sysops and calling them the devops team achieves this God only knows. Anyone in a team should be able to get their code into prod or an app deployed without hand holding or chucking it over to someone else.

Also the amount of cash disappearing over the Atlantic to Microsoft and Amazon for cloud is truly breathtaking, companies quickly loose track over their spend on these opaque subscription services. There will be a lot brought in house to private clouds in the future.
            As a dev I can honestly say having the devops get everything flowing into production and being able to focus on the actual development work is a godsend. Yes I can do it myself but the automation and the division of labour is so much more efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
              The part of Devops that concerns me is the "ops" part. As far as I can tell, it's an excuse for developers to do operations as well. Supposedly, the developers themselves are supposed to be responsible for fixing any problems no matter what time.

My last client was big on devops and applied subtle pressure for everyone to work 24/7, to be ready at any time to respond to a text message and start working. There was never any direct policies laid on by the client, only a subtle pressure that you should do what's neccessary to make yourself indispensible. That was all that was needed for insecure contractors to take it on themselves to work all kind of crazy hours and weekends. It didn't help though, because every contract is ending in Feb because of IR35. No consideration given for all that extra time.

Remember the good old days when the development team had testers who just did testing? And there was an entire operations department who deployed code and stayed up all night to make sure it was running?
              The idea I guess is by putting the development team on the hook for fixing problems then they put the effort into deployment pipelines, monitoring, alerting etc to make their job easier. However there needs to be some concept of support rotas and coverage, just having a couple of frazzled devs keeping the lights on is not healthy for anyone.

Been there and done that for crazy hours and clients taking the piss, never again.

Comment

I'm seeing lots of new contract roles coming up in my area (Scotland) and industry (UX/UI) in the last 2 weeks.

I think it's because of all the hardcore contractors who are choosing bench over inside ir35 contracts.

Day rates are hardly ever mentioned, and when they are mentioned, they're awful (£150-£200 a day, INSIDE ir35 )

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                  I'm seeing lots of new contract roles coming up in my area (Scotland) and industry (UX/UI) in the last 2 weeks.

I think it's because of all the hardcore contractors who are choosing bench over inside ir35 contracts.

Day rates are hardly ever mentioned, and when they are mentioned, they're awful (£150-£200 a day, INSIDE ir35 )
                  That's what comes of thinking inside IR35 - pay pro-rota permie rates.

Give things time and a new equilibrium will be achieved.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Java Developer - Contract Outside IR35

Company Name: Hunter Bond
                    Company Location: London, England Metropolitan Area
                    Posted Date: Posted 1 week ago
                    Number of applicants: 198 applicants

198 applicants just from linkedin, Jesus HC.

Comment

Java Developer - Contract Outside IR35

Company Name: Hunter Bond
                      Company Location: London, England Metropolitan Area
                      Posted Date: Posted 1 week ago
                      Number of applicants: 198 applicants

198 applicants just from linkedin, Jesus HC.
                      Of which 195 are probably from the Indian subcontinent.

I just spoke to someone advertising on linkedIn in my areas. of the 45 applicants not 1 is actually in europe.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X