• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

If you like being inside IR35.
    If the whole banking sector is going the Inside IR35 route then the technology you use is irrelevant.

Comment

Longer term, the bigger problem (as raised in the other area of the forum) for inside-IR35 contracts is the insistence on being paid via means that land-locks you into the U.K (FCSA accredited umbrella).

Anyone would think that this was an intended consequence but I don't think the treasury are that clever.

Comment

I had my first ever online interview today. First time I am back on the market since Covid.

Having three strangers sit silently and watch me code over Zoom was not pleasant.
        Saying it was anxiety inducing was an understatement, and i suffer from bad anxiety on most days (hence my fraidycat name).
        The coding problem was not even that hard, medium difficulty, I was just not used to people watching me make minor mistakes as I eventually get to the correct solution.

Writing that interview off from my mind. But hopeful i might get offered a role i went for earlier this week, that client gave me an option of zoom or in office, and i chose to attend their offices, where it was old fashioned white board rather than perfect coding on screen.
        Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 February 2023, 09:31.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

If the whole banking sector is going the Inside IR35 route then the technology you use is irrelevant.
          There is no indication that the whole banking sector is going the Inside IR35 route. Why would they change now?

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
            I had my first ever online interview today. First time I am back on the market since Covid.

Having three strangers sit silently and watch me code over Zoom was not pleasant.
            Saying it was anxiety inducing was an understatement, and i suffer from bad anxiety on most days (hence my fraidycat name).
            The coding problem was not even that hard, medium difficulty, I was just not used to people watching me make minor mistakes as I eventually get to the correct solution.
            If you got to a correct solution in a reasonable amount of time they wont reject you on that.

Comment

For the first time in my career I have been offered a role without being interviewed. The agent said the client wanted to offer me the role because "they've heard of me".

Does this mean I finally made it?

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                For the first time in my career I have been offered a role without being interviewed. The agent said the client wanted to offer me the role because "they've heard of me".

Does this mean I finally made it?
                Maybe it is someone from the Lodge or the Golf Club?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

There is no indication that the whole banking sector is going the Inside IR35 route. Why would they change now?
                  The last few bank gigs I have been approached for have quoted PAYE rates instead of Inside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Over time HMRC will attack large clients that continue to offer outside roles..
                    Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 February 2023, 10:17.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

If you got to a correct solution in a reasonable amount of time they wont reject you on that.
                      The anxiety from the realtime coding test at the start of the interview left me a nervous wreck for the rest of the interview.
                      Hence not hopeful.
                      Would have preferred to do the test at the end, not the start.

Also the test was sold to me by the agent as a 'pair programming session', it wasn't, it was a straight test with 3 people watching me do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X