• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    public sector=inside ir35
    There are now plenty of Outside roles in the Public Sector. Not all, but enough to sense that these guys are getting their heads around it.

It might be that the current Private Sector contractors who once fled from Public in 2017, might now find solace in the Public Sector once again.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
      public sector=inside ir35
      it was responded to above but my personal, recent experience of public sector with the latest gcloud work package based system is -

- outside of IR35 (not all assignments were, just a bunch)
      - weekly invoicing and payment
      - work request raised by the end-client on gcloud, interview in 48 hours, start work within 3 days of interview.

what i would say is that because the private sector does
      not have a gcloud based work package system which is centrally reportable back, they lack the visibility of who is doing what.

whomever can come up with a working glcloud system for the private sector will be very wealthy.

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post
        I do believe so, unfortunately.

Contracts running until end of March are something I'd only engage with if I could have a determination up-front, some assurance that the client wouldn't deem it 'inside' once they're liable - since HMRC consider when the payments are made, not when the work/contract is complete.

In either case, I've given myself a soft deadline of this coming Monday to get a sniff of something serious, some interview at least for an outside contract. Failing that I fear I will have to make the leap to the dark side and go perm again.
        It's not because of IR35, otherwise there would be a glut of inside IR35 roles, or a huge demand for permies.

The economy is currently shrinking, lots of uncertainty and little investment, look no further than that,
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
          well, seems like my time has come as current client not extending my contract beyond its end date (end Feb). Change of management (for the worse), an army of Eastern Europeans via consultancy and a preference for permies to blame. Can't even say I've fallen foul of IR35, but I would imagine it's had some bearing.

I've not been benched since 2012 so it's been a good run but it is looking inevitable now. 5 weeks left to land something.

Dev skills
          client-side (Angular, React)
          server-side (Node.js, .NET)
          Have a friend with the same skillset also benched. And his skills have been hot for a number of years.... market isn't great for a lot of the generic skillsets at the moment. DevOps, Big Data, Azure/AWS engineer seem to be fairing well by comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            It's not because of IR35, otherwise there would be a glut of inside IR35 roles, or a huge demand for permies.

The economy is currently shrinking, lots of uncertainty and little investment, look no further than that,
            You are so right. I think however the market may be feeling wary of hiring at all until the result of this review is out. A lot of chat with agents about how things will play out and businesses have some hard thinking to do. I wonder if things will pick up or collapse into a full blown recession. This quarter will surely be negative.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I think the party's over for a year or two but after that things will probably start to change and improve again. It just depends how you want to view it.

This too shall pass :-)
              If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                after that things will probably start to change and improve again.
                The attraction of using contractors - hiring and firing quickly and easily, no fretting about whether people are good enough or not - will surely get companies hiring again soon. It's just so much more agile. However the Revenue have finished subsidizing contractors and I fear companies will find a compensatory hike in day rates beyond their comfort zone, so the market may come back but the good times probably won't.
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  The attraction of using contractors - hiring and firing quickly and easily, no fretting about whether people are good enough or not - will surely get companies hiring again soon. It's just so much more agile. However the Revenue have finished subsidizing contractors and I fear companies will find a compensatory hike in day rates beyond their comfort zone, so the market may come back but the good times probably won't.
                  Market forces always drive day rates. If supply outstrips demand its baked beans for tea.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Busy

Not sure how others are finding it. I came back to the UK after 12 years away at the end of November, I struggled to make contacts and progress in the run up to Xmas, but nonetheless I started my first role 3rd Jan and now have a better role ready to start next week. As I haven't worked in the current tax year I am on PAYE which isn't too much of an issue.

I am planning to register my own company in the next week or so, and get VAT registered and so on ready so I can take work on through that in the new tax year. My long term plan is to build my own tech company and whilst I will need to do contracting work through it initially I don't plan to do any in the long term.

I am finding I am having calls every other day or so asking my availability, I feel that the market is pretty reasonable. Two job offers from two different agencies in two weeks seems good.

Comment

Originally posted by technobabble View Post
                      Not sure how others are finding it. I came back to the UK after 12 years away at the end of November, I struggled to make contacts and progress in the run up to Xmas, but nonetheless I started my first role 3rd Jan and now have a better role ready to start next week. As I haven't worked in the current tax year I am on PAYE which isn't too much of an issue.

I am planning to register my own company in the next week or so, and get VAT registered and so on ready so I can take work on through that in the new tax year. My long term plan is to build my own tech company and whilst I will need to do contracting work through it initially I don't plan to do any in the long term.

I am finding I am having calls every other day or so asking my availability, I feel that the market is pretty reasonable. Two job offers from two different agencies in two weeks seems good.
                      Nice to see how honourably you are - within two weeks of starting a contract you leave for a different one.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X