• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NomadPanda View Post
    My hunt for the next contract continues. Agents sound gloomy about the state of the market "worst I've seen it in years" and "it's dead" and even the permie market has slowed.

I've also heard contractors are accepting lower rates as its a clients market. Dropping from 550 to 350 is a painful prospect.

Everything appears to be London based which is where I'm trying to avoid for quality of life reasons. I'm looking at everywhere outside London. Any industry.

Anyone here have a different experience recently? Particularly interested to hear from PM or BA as that's been hit hardest.
    I guess it may vary based on the industry, but my experience and assessment is 100% the same. In fact I even met a couple of clients in London (but only if they were considering part remote), but in the end nothing fruitful. I am fairly new to contracting but I feel I started at the wrong time. Still hanging in there though, I've seen a pick-up of the market in April certainly, but north is very very quiet.

Comment

Interesting times in automotive - safety critical embedded software.

I have been approached by 2 agencies for 2 different clients (well known names) who are paying good rates and would be willing to wait 2 months for me to start.
      Anybody else experienced this lately?

Comment

if it helps anyone. The market looks to be booming.

I have 2 contracts on the go, and a 3rd if only I can convince them I can't deliver till July.
        another lined up for straight after that.

and everyone around me is seeing the same.

I've never seen it so busy. It's almost as if the B***** delay has released lots of budget.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Nice to hear an upbeat take on the forum.

Congrats.

Comment

Some sectors are booming while others (financial services especially) are heading the other way!

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
              Nice to hear an upbeat take on the forum.

Congrats.
              It is April, lots of budgets get released, the question is how long will it last, my expectation is not very long.

Comment

Aaaaand, we're back to downbeat.

Comment

It will take more than a couple of bods who have their phones ringing off the hook in April to break this bear market.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    if it helps anyone. The market looks to be booming.

I have 2 contracts on the go, and a 3rd if only I can convince them I can't deliver till July.
                    another lined up for straight after that.

and everyone around me is seeing the same.

I've never seen it so busy. It's almost as if the B***** delay has released lots of budget.
                    Interesting ... what industry and what type of role? Ie Banking/Insurance, PM / BA. VS automotive full stack dev/engineering niche? Very different.
                    Last edited by NomadPanda; 2 May 2019, 11:34. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                      Some sectors are booming while others (financial services especially) are heading the other way!
                      I work in Insurance and very much a market upturn recently, at all levels of experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X