• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State of c# market in London?

I have been permie for 3 years having contracted for the previous 17. Would love to contract again, but there don't seem to be many roles on jobserve. Is this still a reasonable indicator of the market? Feeling a bit out of touch these days.

Comment

Originally posted by jazza View Post
      I have been permie for 3 years having contracted for the previous 17. Would love to contract again, but there don't seem to be many roles on jobserve. Is this still a reasonable indicator of the market? Feeling a bit out of touch these days.
      Financial services are booting out contractors. This time next year CUK will be

Comment

Originally posted by jazza View Post
        It does depend on which market you're looking at. Some are looking good, some aren't. It's down to your skillset and where you can sell it.

Comment

Got through a phone screener yesterday and was going to have a longer interview today. Waiting around all day to be given a time and just been told the project has been pulled (I was being teed up for a Monday start).

My last contract ended with a project being pulled and that is the third time in two months I have got through an initial interview before the contract and/or project got pulled.

Unless I am extremely unlucky that isn't sustainable for the IT industry, let alone just contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            Got through a phone screener yesterday and was going to have a longer interview today. Waiting around all day to be given a time and just been told the project has been pulled (I was being teed up for a Monday start).

My last contract ended with a project being pulled and that is the third time in two months I have got through an initial interview before the contract and/or project got pulled.

Unless I am extremely unlucky that isn't sustainable for the IT industry, let alone just contracting.
            I went through a phone interview for a new permie role and everything seemed to be going well. The next week the HR girl I had been dealing with phoned me to tell me the position had been withdrawn :-( Apparently they were unable to get all of the skills they required in one person so were trying to figure out what to do.
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I was successful in two two-stage interviews this week, one being pulled and the other was turned into a perm role which I'm yet to accept.
              Last edited by BionicTeddyBear; 28 June 2019, 23:34.

Comment

Seems to be happening quite a lot then. I wouldn't mind but I only heard of it on Wednesday with a view to a Monday start and the whole thing was derailed by Friday!

Comment

Its not just you I had several roles pulled I REALLY needed to come through as war chest is long gone & I am living on fresh air & sweet charity!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                    Its not just you I had several roles pulled I REALLY needed to come through as war chest is long gone & I am living on fresh air & sweet charity!
                    I saw a leading politician (cannot remember who!) on tv last week, saying there's a shortage of IT skills in the UK!

I just wonder how out of touch these politicos really are. But, when you let sub continent IT workers convert to permanent UK resident because their kid is supposedly going to be a chess champion and could represent the UK rather than his country of birth, no wonder UK nationals are finding roles \ jobs hard to secure?

Glad Im out of it and retired (sorry to sound like a stuck record!).
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      I saw a leading politician (cannot remember who!) on tv last week, saying there's a shortage of IT skills in the UK!

I just wonder how out of touch these politicos really are. But, when you let sub continent IT workers convert to permanent UK resident because their kid is supposedly going to be a chess champion and could represent the UK rather than his country of birth, no wonder UK nationals are finding roles \ jobs hard to secure?

Glad Im out of it and retired (sorry to sound like a stuck record!).
                      Your not a stuck record this is just the way it is. Politicos need a rude awakening & will sooner or later get it from the disgruntled electorate!! So many out of touch (not you!) UK contractors are going to get a very rude awakening when they need to get another contractor & find just how few vacancies & how many applicants even for crappy perm roles! UK companies are addicted to cheap IT labour costs & the politicos are enabling this.

Comment

Working...
                      X