• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    Every search I notice a new buzzword that seemingly everyone wants. This time round, it's "ServiceNow"
    Its an IT call logging system which also has the ability to create reports & can be customised for each end client. Not an easy app to gain experience with either!
    Last edited by uk contractor; 5 December 2018, 10:09.

Comment

Originally posted by molsang View Post
      I am not demanding respect, I do feel proud of enormous soft power Britain has at world stage. I was just defending with facts of an ignorant stupid idiot's claims how bad India is. However India is reclaiming itself, India is 3rd largest economy in purchasing power parity, 4th strongest and powerful army according to CIA factbook. The fact is UK reduced to an island state and no match of India in this century and centuries ahead and I standby of my decision to return to India permanently. I own 4 houses, half a million Sterling in cash savings and every single penny invested to India's booming economy with guranteed return. I strongly believe that I did a good service for my son to take him out of posh private school, learning nothing, knowing nothing becoming talking head ignorant and put him in Indian School under enormous competition. Let him do well in India, in his generation he will conquer the world.
      I am not a left winger, I am a right winger Nationalist but this article from Gurdain is nail on the head why skilled immigration in UK will not end in near future? The reason is poor education standard overall in STEM areas and partly cultural the millennial did not studied hard subjects instead fancy bulltulip subjects like 'media studies', 'creative marketing' and so on lol

Britain’s skills failure shows the hollowness of May’s immigration pledge | Polly Toynbee | Opinion | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
        Its an IT call logging system which also has the ability to create reports & can be customised for each end client. Not an easy app to gain experience with either!
        ServiceNow is way more than IT call logging system. It's a system that supports any corporate tickets raising, types of issues e.g. "Give me access to", "I request to release this feature by date", "My chair doesn't adjust correctly".

The system is used in some investment banks and I've seen them offering £800-£900 for ServiceNow consultants for 3 months rolling gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by jamievardy View Post
          ServiceNow is way more than IT call logging system. It's a system that supports any corporate tickets raising, types of issues e.g. "Give me access to", "I request to release this feature by date", "My chair doesn't adjust correctly".
          So, it’s a system that uses IT to facilitate the logging of issues that require work to be carried out by people to correct/improve the situation. Associated with it’s ability to log calls issues is it’s ability to report on them and the performance of those who are assigned the issues.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Anyone joining the market after Christmas?

Warm up the bench please lads
            The Christmas market has been kind - out of one contract and straight into another, no gap :-)

Moral of the story? Play the numbers game. Hard.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              So, it’s a system that uses IT to facilitate the logging of issues that require work to be carried out by people to correct/improve the situation. Associated with it’s ability to log calls issues is it’s ability to report on them and the performance of those who are assigned the issues.
              It also allows scripts to be hung off an action to say grant a user permissions once the approvals have been made.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The Christmas market has been kind - out of one contract and straight into another, no gap :-)

Moral of the story? Play the numbers game. Hard.
                Same for me I was expecting to get benched for December & January, I got dragged to North Wales from my cosy spot in london but hey ho a contract is a contract.

I found also the christmas market has had a flood of phone calls going off the hook for me & colleagues for rollout/training projects next year which took me by surprise as I thought nearly everyone would pack their bags and left the office by now for agencies.

Nadolig Llawen!

Comment

Hopefully with the ongoing chaos of government's handling of Brexit and their new advice for companies to implement contingency plans for a 'no deal' that there will be a surge in contractor demand to facilitate this as we head into next year.

Almost wish my current client wasn't interested in extending me into 2019, to take advantage of the inevitable Y2K style panic, but will use the opportunity to upskill further into the land of Azure on the back of the client migrating their Microsoft based web apps to the cloud.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

wow! why took UK citizenship?

Originally posted by molsang View Post
                    I agree with you what you said. I am an Naturalised UK Citizen of Indian origin, came to UK on Jan 2009 only purpose of doing freelancing. I am extremely successful in the gamble I took coming to UK on deep recession. I experience there is hardly any good roles in my multiple infra skillsets. I plan to stay in my current contract upto end of 2019 (if possible) and then return to India permanently and reskil in AWS security. There are lots of start-ups in Bangalore, currently India is 3rd on start-ups right after US and China. And that is next technology boom is happening and I wish to take good chunk of it until i retire. Lucky me, I did not invest a penny in UK housing market and can relocate to India in 72 hrs notice lol
                    then why you took UK citizenship?
                    Your income in India should be declared to HMRC! HMRC might go after you , it is a risk!
                    It would be been better with Indian citizenship and just ILR in UK if you are looking at going back!

Comment

Originally posted by RobScott View Post
                      then why you took UK citizenship?
                      Your income in India should be declared to HMRC! HMRC might go after you , it is a risk!
                      It would be been better with Indian citizenship and just ILR in UK if you are looking at going back!

I took because thought it would be useful to have ability to work in 27 EU countries. I know the HMRC rules, I will close down my company, pay all taxes, declare in HMRC leaving UK for good, close all bank accounts. Then I will be left with passport and no other connection with UK.

Comment

Working...
                      X