• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

If you sign up for two clients for 40 hours a week then you are defrauding them. If you sign up to be paid by delivery then crack on so long as you can do the work.

I am really not sure why people aren't getting this difference and by that I mean in the real world, not some aspiration where every contract is paid on delivery which are a minority of contracts.
    The issue is that TheGreenBastard 's example is someone taking 2 £300 a day contracts and by it's very description that is an attendance based contract where both clients will be expecting a days work (granted there is no definition of how much work is required) on a daily basis.

Now if he was talking about 2 delivery based contracts I wouldn't be complaining but isn't what he was initially suggesting (and those delivery based contacts rarely come from agents because they hate that business model).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If you sign up for two clients for 40 hours a week then you are defrauding them. If you sign up to be paid by delivery then crack on so long as you can do the work.

I am really not sure why people aren't getting this difference and by that I mean in the real world, not some aspiration where every contract is paid on delivery which are a minority of contracts.
      Do you "work" the 40 hours, or do you deliver 40 hours of value? Or is it something on the spectrum? At which position on this spectrum does it become fraud? Would you say it's fraud if you peruse these forums and don't keep tabs on the time spent, making sure to work it at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by davetza View Post

Congrats on the new role. However, in your shoes I would not cancel the interviews. I've had roles pulled even after a contract has been signed so I've learnt my lesson on this.
        Good point - to be clear I won't be cancelling anything until the contract is signed and sealed.

And even then... I have an interview I am hoping to land for a unicorn perm role which I would ditch the contracting for but its a huge one and will be hard to get so nice to be going for it in contract so nothing lost if I don't get it :P

Feeling like at some point I need to stop this contracting lark lol
        Last edited by dx4100; 24 May 2023, 17:30.

Comment

Simultaneously Multi-gigging and Dreams Of Having It, Getting It, Obtaining It - It deserves it own Forum Thread please. We OTHERS can leave 'em to it.
          I will install your new kitchen extension for £30,000, but I want 75% of the readies up front. Sounds like Bark.com nonsense.
          Last edited by rocktronAMP; 24 May 2023, 20:56.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
            Did a technical test last week, 30 min interview yesterday lunchtime and got the verbal offer 5pm last night. Managed to negotiate the start date for a couple of weeks as well so I can finish off the current gig properly. Contract likely to last until December so fairly pleased given the state of the market.

Rate is reasonable as well - 500 outside - can't be picky at the moment.

Ive got three interviews in the calendar I need to cancel now. Keep the faith people. There is work out there.
            You'll be having a few Molsons tonight then mate

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

Do you "work" the 40 hours, or do you deliver 40 hours of value? Or is it something on the spectrum? At which position on this spectrum does it become fraud? Would you say it's fraud if you peruse these forums and don't keep tabs on the time spent, making sure to work it at some point?
              I am available for 40 hours. I am not available half the time because I am doing another gig at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Simultaneously Multi-gigging and Dreams Of Having It, Getting It, Obtaining It - It deserves it own Forum Thread please. We OTHERS can leave 'em to it.
                I will install your new kitchen extension for £30,000, but I want 75% of the readies up front. Sounds like Bark.com nonsense.
                It does get a bit tedious, doesn't it?

Comment

DX4100 I wouldn't cancel any interviews until you have completed your first full day in new gig.

Comment

Seems like the new tax year bounce is now over. Well done to everyone who bagged a contract in the last two months.

Yesterday the UK inflation numbers came in worse than expected. This will mean more interest rate rises and a longer timeframe before the BOE start cutting rates. I cant see another boom in the contract market until they start cutting.. and even then they might only start cutting because the wider economy has gone into recession.

FTSE 250 fell below 19000 on the bad news. It needs to be above 21,000 to indicate the worst might be behind us.

In other news: long-awaited statistics showed net migration was a record 606,000 across 2022. This was far higher than the 488,000 level for 2021.

Germany GDP stats showed that the country went into recession Q1 this year, GDP was down 0.3% in first quarter after being down 0.5 in the prior quarter.
                    Last edited by Fraidycat; 25 May 2023, 10:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                      Seems like the new tax year bounce is now over. Well done to everyone who bagged a contract in the last two months.

Yesterday the UK inflation numbers came in worse than expected. This will mean more interest rate rises and a longer timeframe before the BOE start cutting rates. I cant see another boom in the contract market until they start cutting.. and even then they might only start cutting because the wider economy has gone into recession.

In other news: long-awaited statistics showed net migration was a record 606,000 across 2022. This was far higher than the 488,000 level for 2021.
                      The net migration figure is made much worse by the fact that many professionals are moving abroad due to the worsening conditions here and the cesspit that this country has become. So actually you have a brain drain simultaneously with an influx of migrants.

Comment

Working...
                      X